• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Homespun riflemen’s knife

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the kind words. This one was not meant as an accurate representation of an 18th century knife, just a contemporary piece. It is homespun in the regard it was created from reused items. The handle is a cut off from a rifle stock from a year or two ago. The guard was made from a hay mower tongue and a 1911 bushing. The blade material was the only thing that was purpose bought the rest of it was all “found” items.
Here is a blade I finished this weekend. It’s forged from 1095 with a mild steel guard. The handle is curly maple stained with aqua fortis. Now to get a sheath sewn. Also in one of the pictures I forged a butt plate for an up and coming rifle build.

The knife carries a lot of Woodbury style with influence from the House brothers. Here is a picture from earlier in the year with another knife showing some Woodbury influence. They offer some great instructional classes. I would encourage anyone interested to look into one

Attachments

• IMG_3810.jpeg
    IMG_3810.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Thanks for the kind words. This one was not meant as an accurate representation of an 18th century knife, just a contemporary piece. It is homespun in the regard it was created from reused items. The handle is a cut off from a rifle stock from a year or two ago. The guard was made from a hay mower tongue and a 1911 bushing. The blade material was the only thing that was purpose bought the rest of it was all “found” items.

The knife carries a lot of Woodbury style with influence from the House brothers. Here is a picture from earlier in the year with another knife showing some Woodbury influence. They offer some great instructional classes. I would encourage anyone interested to look into one
I really like the piece, and the ONLY reason that I personally would object to carrying it after becoming an owner, is that I have a great talent for losing such nice items when I go into the woods. :oops: It would make me heart-sick if that happened to such a piece. The other reason I carry a plain butcher style knife after the fact it's rather generic and there were plenty of that type back in those days..., is that such unremarkable, factory made, uninspired knives apparently ward off my penchant for losing them, they remain, and IF I do, it's not big deal. ;)

LD

Back