• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Homemade Speedloaders (modern materials)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I measure powder, cut at the muzzle and load when I am shooting for fun but have pre measured little plastic tubes of powder and a loading block for that second shot on a wounded deer when my hands are shaking and my heart is pounding. I carry these abominations in my possible bag and not my pocket.

Safe or not, does not seem very “traditional” to me. That seems of little importance to most here, but I know certain modern guns and topics are certainly banned here, but apparantly modern accessories are fine to speak of so it is what it is.
Good morning. Some 25 or 30 years ago I bought three items called speed loaders, I don't know if they're still made, but they worked rather well they are 50 caliber and I put the patched ball in from one end, put my powder charge in the other end,With a felt separator, and snap the Caps back on. They Are a Hard Green Plastic, and I Have Three of Them. I Use Them Strictly for Hunting They're Very Handy for That. Like Someone Said You Don't Get a Second Shot but Sometimes You Need One for a Wounded Critter. I Don't Know If Any of the old Boys Did This 2 Hundred Years Ago, but It Wouldn't Took Too Smart of a Blacksmith to Make One Out Of Soft Copper, Rolled into a Tube. I carry one of those small metal spring loaded primers on a cord around my neck, so priming is no effort.

I cannot understand why there is "innovation" bashing going on in a sport with participation deminishing at such a fast rate.

Most of us start out as beginners with minimal
Experience and grow into a historical perspective.

We "innovators" dont bash or hold traditionalist shooters in a nagative light. On the contrary we hold them in higher regard for the purity factor.

Innovation is what brought us from handcannons to modern firearms.

Gotta agree that it's not something I would use but we have moderators to decide if it's acceptable.

Bp is set off by heat. Not sure of the exact temperature but somewhere above 450*. I'm sure you are convinced that the charge was set off as you describe but I think something is being overlooked!

On the contrary, BP absolutely can be ignited by static electricity using such a device as the one mentioned in the post. Doesn't just require heat, I've seen it first hand and the results were less than steller. Thankfully the individual didn't loose any fingers. These vinyl loaders can absolutely generate enough energy while bouncing around in a bag or loose clothing to go boom.

Prime example of needing to understand what one is doing. BP without a doubt is a volatile substance and it's properties should be understood and respected before storing it in just any container.
Doesn't black powder come in plastic cans?

I cannot understand why there is "innovation" bashing going on in a sport with participation deminishing at such a fast rate.

It is pretty simple really, although I wouldn't call it "bashing".
The problem is this, if you "innovate" too much you end up losing the thing you started with.
Muzzleloaders were innovated, to the point where they were no longer loaded from the muzzle. see the problem ?
I'll give you another example; Carriages were innovated to the point where they no longer had horses, and then were no longer called carriages.

I would also argue that it was innovation the caused the "diminishing participation" in the sport in the first place.

I hope that helps.

Back