• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Homemade dye

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JiminTexas

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a little discoloration on my good (Sunday-go-to meetin') buckskins that I tried to scrub out. Now that I have the black mark to where it isn't noticable anymore I now have a light spot around the area that used to have the dark spot. Well, I though that I'd make up some dye using Pecan hulls (we have plenty!) but what should I use as a fixing agent? I've heard alcohol, but I don't know which kind and I've also heard of several others. Anyone got any good recepies for homemade leather dye?

my reply is kinda long.
I also copied this from[url] http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,11991.0.html[/url]

Nolan Sackett wrote this for[url] cascity.com[/url] website.
Nolan Sackett is the master leathercrafter for wild rose trading company. He specialezes in old time leather working methods.
If you need more information on this subject send nolan sackett a email with questions. he is very happy to help out leathercrafters. just look up wild rose trading company for his email address. enough of my rambling here is Nolan's instructions. i'm sure you can adapt them to whatever shells you have on hand.
hope this is what your looking for.

Rember this entire segment is a quote from Nolan Sackett's post on another forum.
Here's some instructions for some of the old time dyes I'm working with these days:
1) Black: VINEGAR BLACK (aka Vinegaroon - these are original old formulas)
For giving color to the grain of leather there is no blacking that will at all compare with the well known vinegar black. This may be made in various ways. The simplest, and, without doubt, the best, is to procure shavings from an iron turner and cover them with pure cider vinegar; heat up and set aside for a week or two, then heat again and set in a cool place for two weeks; pour off the vinegar, allow it to stand for a few days, and draw off and cork up in bottles. This will keep for a long time, and, while producing a deep black on leather, will not stain the hands.
Another method is to cover iron scraps with sour beer, and allow them to stand for a month or more; then strain off the beer and bottle as before.
A third method is to boil sulphate of iron in vinegar; mix some brewer's yeast with beer and allow it to stand for twenty four hours, then skim off the yeast and add the vinegar.

Instead of iron shavings you can use steel wool. To use the steel wool burn off the oil first - I dip it in acetone and use a propane/blow torch and light it off in an old pan with a lid, just in case you need to put the flame out. Take all precautions and it will work fine. The only problem with steel wool is it often has copper and other metals in the "mix" which can sometimes add a greenish tint.

After the "dye" (actually it's a reagent) dries I then neutralize with a slurry of baking soda and room temp water, about a 1/2 cup baking soda to a quart of water. Then I let the leather dry until just damp and apply a light coat or two of oil (I generally use olive oil, Lexol, Conditioner, or Lexol non-greasy Neats Foot). When the "dye" first dries it may look bluish or grayish at first and sometimes a second coat is needed, but normally the neutralizing and oil will turn it black.

2) Brown: I use black walnut hulls (If they are not available locally - the fresh green hulls are best - you can buy them dried on line from various vendors - to find a vendor search for walnut dye, etc.) Put a pound or so of the crushed hulls in an old stocking and place in a pan of distilled water so that the water covers the walnut hulls about an inch. Cover it and simmer at a low boil for several hours and then let cool overnight - keep an eye on the water level. The next day boil again and let cool overnight. Again watch that the water level does not get too low, but you do want it to get fairly thick. Once it's cool drain off the liquid be sure to squeeze all of the liquid out of the bundled walnut hulls. Save the walnut hulls - hang them up to dry and you can use them a couple of times more. The liquid will go bad so either keep it frozen or add 3/4 of a cup of rubbing alcohol to a quart of the dye. This is the dye I used on the Slim Jim in the DVD. It will come out anywhere from a light brown/gray to a dark grayish brown before oiling (I use light olive oil a lot for oiling and then set it in the sun to darken) - the color will depend on the leather - every piece is different, how long you let it soak, and how strong the dye is.

I always do a test on a scrap of every new hide, I use only American tanned hides - mostly from Wickett & Craig. You can also mix the two dyes, which gave me a rusty/black on the pieces shown below. I used a 60/40 mix of walnut to vinegaroon on the belt and a 75/25 on the holster:

Last edited by a moderator:
Vinegar & iron will work & is very period correct.
And is fun to play with but be careful it can ruin good leather.

Here is the short answer on the use of iron blacking on the grain. There are two main problems first is not enough tannin present and the second is casehardening the grain.

This quote is from Lamb’s book on Staining, dyeing and finishing.
“In staining blacks it is very necessary that plenty of the logwood infusion should be applied to the leather, especially if this is at all lightly tanned. Unless there is plenty of tanning and coloring matter to unite with the iron, the iron will combine with what there is of tannin matter in the leather, and render it brittle and liable to crack If too much iron is used, the leather may be completely ruined.”
Logwood is the answer when using this type of dye. Logwood is the best tannin to bind with the iron and keep it from changing forms and starting acid rot (or Red rot). If any of the iron is not bound to a tannin source either in the leather or in the logwood this rot is possible.

The second problem is very common when you apply enough tannin to stop the rot then it is easy to get some much in the grain surface itself that it can become brittle and crack. A very carful oiling is about the only way to stop this problem but it needs to be a mixture of heavy fats and not just a light oil.

One way to test yourself after dyeing is to remove all but the grain surface and soak it in a nutral water over night and check the PH. It needs to be no lower than 2.5 PH, a 3 or higher is even better. This is on vegetable tanned leather and it is naturally 3.5 to 5.5 PH on its own.

Back