• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Holster?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A flintlock pistol, you know what it looks like. About a 9 inch barrel, rounded hook handle, look at a MUZZLELOADER cover depicting a mountain man, one will be shoved crossdraw behind his sash.

Any documentation on whether any of these ever have holsters?

Colonel Dodge 1834 from George Catlin - note the holstered pistols

Dodgecolor.jpg

a couple of original holsters dated circa 1840

flinter-001.jpg

q434a.jpg

Is that a reverse image or is that really a left side lock on Dodge's rifle?
And the hat, another fairly high crown with a flat top. It seems to me at least similar hats are shown a lot.

crockett said:
Is that a reverse image or is that really a left side lock on Dodge's rifle?

I've actually come to believe that it is a double rifle perhaps - not common but not unknown for the time and place either
My reasoning:
The left hand lock and the cheek piece - a dbl smooth bore wouldn't generally have a cheekpiece and if a single barrel left-hand rifle the cheekpiece would/should normally be on the other side. There is at least one known American long rifle with a left-hand lock on a right hand rifle so it would not be impossible for it to be a singeel barrel rifle.

The hat is a pretty typical topper of the period. Toppers first appeared circa 1790 IIRC and by the 1830's were common wear for men especially those of the higher classes.

LaBonte, THANKS SO MUCH for the images and info you shared. Exactly what I was hoping I'd get to see.

And as I whimsically thought, the cross-draw seems like it was de riguer with the leather as well. It does make sense ergonomically.

Swampy, I hope you're gettin' all this down!

LaBonte - I'm in complete agreement re:Col Dodge's longgun being a double.

Up until almost a year ago I would have also agreed that it was a double rifle due to the cheek "swell". However, last October I acquired a nice old Westley Richards 12 bore double shotgun with a cheekpiece on the left side.

Just when I thought I knew something definite about old guns I suddenly learned I didn't. happens all the time!

Latest posts

Back