• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Historical Accuracy!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulF70

40 Cal
Reaction score
Thought you guys might enjoy this. Passed thru Prescott, AZ last week with the fam (driving Grand Canyon->Phoenix). Its "Whiskey Row" is a historical site, with intact bars where Wyatt Earp and Doc Holliday hung out.

Check out the description of this .36 '51 Colt Navy - it "has" "80 grains of black powder." 80 grains, eh? Quite a load for a .36! 😆

Attachments

• IMG_4509.jpg
    IMG_4509.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4510.jpg
    IMG_4510.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 0
I think most of these people are very enthusiastic, but very short on facts. Like the lady telling me a 1884 trapdoor was used in a civil war skirmish…😵‍💫

80 grains total was the thought I had too...

I thought of pointing out the error to the nice ladies running the museum, but I don't think it would have gone over well.

80 grains total was the thought I had too...

I thought of pointing out the error to the nice ladies running the museum, but I don't think it would have gone over well.
When I find these things and have a definitive answer with a source they can check I bring it their attention. Done politely it some times has helped them to have a better understanding of the subject. The least amount of effort has worked a few times.

Thought you guys might enjoy this. Passed thru Prescott, AZ last week with the fam (driving Grand Canyon->Phoenix). Its "Whiskey Row" is a historical site, with intact bars where Wyatt Earp and Doc Holliday hung out.

Check out the description of this .36 '51 Colt Navy - it "has" "80 grains of black powder." 80 grains, eh? Quite a load for a .36! 😆
Made me wonder if someone confused the weight of the ball for the powder charge since a .380” ball weighs about 80 grns I believe.

I was at an Air Museum once, the Air Exhibits were all correct. But a piece of WWII air field equipment caught my attention, something was not jiving.

Lo and behold, a 2nd Air Museum had the type that had been mentioned and it had all the gear on it per the details. Hmmmm.

So I went down sleuth lane and found that the first one had totally blew it, it was not an air field service crawler, it was a Glider size dozer. Only common aspect was they were both crawlers.

I contact the first Museum and told them they had a wonderful Clark Dozer but it was not The Cletrac Service crawler they had it labeled as.

We spent a week in Prescott in April. I want to move there!
It's a great little town, with a cool Old Town and Whiskey Row around the Courthouse. The Palace Bar has some great, if slightly inaccurate, displays of old guns, old mining stuff, and more old stuff. The day we were there, there was a group of folks dressed like they had been to a SASS shoot. And everyone was heeled, including the bargirls. Touristy, but authentically old.
The surrounding hills and granite dells are so cool!
And I couldn't believe the Indian petrographs on hilltops that were undamaged by vandals!
That could never happen near Houston, or most any other big city that I know of!

I have roamed that area of Arizona (actuality quite a bit of it overall) in past years. Other than Phoenix, its quite the place with a huge variety of terrain and features. Too hot in the Summer of course, but man it was some great excursions.

One I went the right direction on as it was a miles long gravel road that had a massive cliff on the other side of the road. Man I hate heights like that. Happy to hug the inside of that one. Of East of Mesa and I believe one of the major reservoirs if memroy serves right, Dam built by Imported Italian Stone Masons.

i don’t believe you could get 80 grains in the cylinder, maybe all of them combined. And certainly not a ball on top. And I’m certain I’d nit pull the trigger

Back