• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Historic definition of "Swan Shot"

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mancill

40 Cal.
Reaction score
So I have seen two different definition of swan shot. One is large shot like #2 to 0. The other is shot crudely made that had a shape like a swans head. Basically the drops falling a short distance into water before they could form a ball. So which is right?

Both actualy, swan shot mentioned in trade journals etc (early on ) referes to larger shot that is droplet shaped , formed by siving molten lead over a screen into water , cheaper to make then buying from a shot tower set up . :thumbsup:

When I purchased Colonial Frontier Guns by T. M. Hamilton years ago, I bought it primarily as a source on Trade Guns. Since then; I have found it is a unique source on period flints, ball sizes, shot and other things including what we would call "GO" and "NO GO" gauges for bore diameters.

The sections on period "shot" would be great for more info on this subject.

Gus

Capt. Jas. is absolutely correct.

Page 130-2, direct quote:

"Before 1665 shot (As distinguished from swan and buckshot, which have always been cast in gang molds) was made by the laborious process of cutting sheet lead into cubes and then tumbling them in a barrel to more or less round off the corners."

Though the following chronological order for making what we today would call "bird shot" is taken from the book, it is not exactly as written. (Sorry, It is too hard to hold and read and type from a soft cover book to get that wording exact.) BTW, they also used the Drop Shot Technique to make Musket Balls.

Before 1665 - Tumbled Shot cut from sheet lead and then tumbled for rounded edges, though not completely round

1665 to 1769 - Rupert Shot, Ovoid/Heart shaped shot, often if not usually with a dimple in it

From 1769 - Drop Shot (from Drop Towers) which was very uniformly round

Calling "Tailed" shot or "tear drop shape" shot by the term "Swan Shot" is a MODERN Misinterpretation of the original 18th century documents. I first remember seeing it so incorrectly called "Swan Shot" in the 1970's, but don't remember if it was in Muzzle Blasts, Sketch Book '76 or some other publication. I do remember drawings being exaggerated to look more like a Swan than the more common Tear Drop or Tailed shape, though.

Gus

"Swan shot" was a specific size of shot, and cast in molds. I remember being told right here , and believe it was by Spence, that swan shot is around .250" or .260", so I have been using a #4 buckshot mold that casts .240" as a close replacement that does what I need.

In the pre 1665 period, I would have thought they might/would have cast the lead into small troughs that were rather long length, to save time over cutting lead cubes from lead sheets. A small stick, that would be drug through wet sand, could have made the troughs. Or a chisel could have easily done the same thing in soap stone.

I didn't know how much of a technological leap that Rupert shot was, until reading Colonial Frontier Guns, by Hamilton. There is a LOT of really neat period technical info in that book.

Gus

When I did it I sawed shallow lines in a board with a table saw, this made a mold that that produced roughly 1/8 inch square rods that I then cut with a small nippers.

Back