• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hi everyone :)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PreserveFreedom

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Well let's see...

I am 35 years old, and a Veteran. I was also a civilian cop for a couple years. I have been a firearms enthusiast for quite a few years now, but just got into black powder arms this year. My first was a copy of a Remington 1858 in .44 cal. It just happened that shortly after I got it I went on vacation to visit my dad in Alabama. While I was there he gave me three muzzleloading caplock rifles that he had had since before I was born. I have pretty much gotten myself hooked. While I own quite a few modern arms, I haven't messed with them lately except to move them toward the back of the safe to make room for the smokepoles. Oh, yeah...dad also gave me a miniature cannon. I have been using Pyrodex P for my cap and ball guns and for the long guns I have been using a can of FFg BP that dad had socked away with the rifles. It is dated 1977 and has been working great. My next goal is to familiarize myself with flintlocks and acquire a few of them. I am also interested in snaphanuces, snaplocks, wheellocks, matchlocks, and handgonnes. The evolution of arms is just fascinating to me. Well I have rambled on enough. Thank you all for having a forum dedicated to muzzleloading. :)

From one vet to another, welcome! The are many of us on here and i tell ya what? There is much to learn.. I thought i knew it all :hmm:

Welcome to the MLF Robert! Glad you found our camp. Sounds like you have a great start with your BP collection. I know what you mean when your centerfires get moved to the back of the safe to make room for the BP's. Pull up a stump and join us at the fire.

Lotta Vets here - you're in good company.

Wheelocks, Snaphaunces, Handgonnes....yep...you're gonna be busy here....

Eric

Welcome! It sure sounds like you are off to a great start, and pretty inexpensively to boot.

my first muzzleloader kill was a 300 pound black bear with an old lymans .58 caliber..my dad got me for x-mas...he gave .75 dollars for it at a flee market with a half box of of 500 grain tc maxi balls..after sighting her in at 70 yards ...the week before bear season...i loaded 100 grain of swiss powder..seated the maxi ball over the powder n headed out.. after 3 hours he crossed the road 30 yards in front of me...i capped the old rifle eased the hammer back set the trigger...just a slight pressure n smoke put him down for the count..been hooked every since

Latest posts

Back