• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Spark making other then flint/chert?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lots of Quartz in Oregone too. I hear we have Chert here too, I'll have to check it out. Also have Obsidian here, but I'm not sure if that would work or not ? Does anyone know ?

I've tried obsidian in my flintlock with poor results. Maybe it was the piece not being the best shape for clamping in the cock. For me it was hit or miss. I can't try it anymore since all the obsidian I had did not come with us when we last moved.

With all the flint/chert talk around here I decided to consult the mighty internet for minerals found in SE Michigan. Suppose it would be nice to have a source other then mail order in this day and age.
However in my geographic area a look at the “Top 10” local rocks reveals flint or chert (apparently) not being around.
Not a rockhound (as they call themselves) but is there a #3, 4, and 5 in rock types that can be used in emergency to be shaped and make sparks for a flintlock?
I remember seeing a video on Utube I think it was of some guy getting all the natural chert he wanted from the shore line of one of the great lakes. Don't recall just know which great lake but you might be able to find in on a search function.

Chert is the best flint material in the USA, but not as good as English flint. French amber comes in a close second to English. I don't know how to splain it in geologist terms, but there you have it. I use Arkansas black to hone my knife edges.
I bought and used quite a bit of the English flint but since I learned to knapp arrow points and started using the waste flakes of Keokuk chert from Oklahoma I can't see a lick of difference in the quality.
Can't say about French flint as I have not used it but I feel it is the equal of the English flint coming from TOTW.

I bought and used quite a bit of the English flint but since I learned to knapp arrow points and started using the waste flakes of Keokuk chert from Oklahoma I can't see a lick of difference in the quality.
Can't say about French flint as I have not used it but I feel it is the equal of the English flint coming from TOTW.
I seem to get better sparks and longer life from the French flints. I have used a rock blanket, elk and moose antler, and copper rod trying to knap my own flints from English black spar successfully. No dice, so far.

I seem to get better sparks and longer life from the French flints. I have used a rock blanket, elk and moose antler, and copper rod trying to knap my own flints from English black spar successfully. No dice, so far.
When I learned about indirect percussion and began to use the technique, flints made from waste flakes of Keokuk became much easier to knapp and work better for me than does flints made from blades struck off from cores.

With all the flint/chert talk around here I decided to consult the mighty internet for minerals found in SE Michigan. Suppose it would be nice to have a source other then mail order in this day and age.
However in my geographic area a look at the “Top 10” local rocks reveals flint or chert (apparently) not being around.
Not a rockhound (as they call themselves) but is there a #3, 4, and 5 in rock types that can be used in emergency to be shaped and make sparks for a flintlock?
i suggest you search again John. i know there is chert found all around Michigan . are you near Flint by chance? or even around Mt Pleasent.
Bayport Chert is associated with the Bayport Limestone Formation occurring as beds in Saginaw Bay (near Bayport), Huron County, Michigan. It is found in nodules and blocks along river banks in the northeastern region of southern Michigan. Bayport has been reported throughout the lower peninsula of Michigan and into central Indiana, northwestern Ohio, and southwestern Ontario.
i am jealous to be truthful. there is no deposits within my traveling distance here.

Last edited:
i suggest you search again John. i know there is chert found all around Michigan . are you near Flint by chance? or even around Mt Pleasent.
Bayport Chert is associated with the Bayport Limestone Formation occurring as beds in Saginaw Bay (near Bayport), Huron County, Michigan. It is found in nodules and blocks along river banks in the northeastern region of southern Michigan. Bayport has been reported throughout the lower peninsula of Michigan and into central Indiana, northwestern Ohio, and southwestern Ontario.
i am jealous to be truthful. there is no deposits within my traveling distance here.
SE MI.
My “Top 10” is from the internet.
Their are several limestone quarries around here and I thought limestone and flint go hand-in-hand.
I guess theres a chance *gasp* that the all knowing internet is wrong.

This summer I’m going to try and find local sources if Jasper, Agate, and Flint/Chert…I’m thinking that both Jasper and Agate would be good at making sparks…maybe in a month or two I’ll have something more definitive than my thoughts.
i live in oregon and have cut a lot of flints out of jasper and agate on a rock saw. sometimes you can get dozens of shots out of one flint and some are worthless just cut a bunch and throw away the ones that don't spark. i have found that knapping the saw cut edge makes a difference sometimes.

Back