• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

HELP!!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tx50cal

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Ok guys I have retired my old .50 hawken with the bad breech plug. I am looking for a new rifle now. I have the Traditions Hawken and the Cabelas Hawken in mind. I like the Cabelas better, it weighs more( about 2 1/2 # more), I think that this means that it will have a heavier barrel on it. I also like the snail breech plug instead of the bolster/drum setup. Which one would you guys get from these two? Also I am all set up for shooting a 50, but when I buy a new rifle I am thinking of going to a 54. Would it be worth buying all new supplies? I only have about 50 roundballs left, I would only need to get new brushes and new bore mops. I want the larger bore because right now I live in Texas, but I will be leaving here in a few years. I will be going to New Mexico, Missouri, or Tennessee. I think that the 54 will be better for elk and bears. What do you think.

My suggestion is to look for a gently used TC Hawken on Renegade. You can get them in Perc. for about the same price as a new Traditions or Hawken. TC's warranty is second to none.

My advice only.

For Sale: 50.CAL T/C HAWKENS FLINTLOCK MUZZELOADER VERY GOOD CONDTION 250.00 OBO CAN BE CONTACTED AT [email protected]
I think here is a great deal but it a flinter in 50 made by t/c,
I hope I can post this here ,I seen this on another forum

You are probably right about the differences in calibers for hunting purposes. Someone here has been free posting a new Traditions Woodsman Hawken .50 for $150 every week for a couple of months now. Another fellow is advertising that he wants $250 for a lightly used Renegade .54 with some accessories (over priced?). I can get you more info. if you're interested.

I own a Cabela's Hawken and I love it. If you want to get a "new" rifle, between those two I would get the Cabela's. Although T/C makes a better rifle. :m2c:

i have to agree with widowbender.its hard to beat t/c's warranty. i'm not sure what cabelas covers.

I think that I am going to get the Cabelas rifle. I want a new rifle and while the T/C is a great rifle, I just can not afford it right now. I think that the Cabelas rifle is built by Investarms so I should get lots of use from it. Am I correct in thinking that it is built by Investarms? Don't they also build the Lyman rifles? Thaks for all of the help.

Rob

Yes, the Cabela's Hawken is an Investarms same as Lyman. They are a very acuurate shooter. And Cabela's is real good about standing behind there products if you have any complaints.

Rebel,
Will I have to was the barrel of the Cabelas rifle with brake cleaner to remove the brown protective coating? Do you own one of these rifles? Do they shoot PRB and conicals equally well? Thanks

I had one of them and it shot rd balls real well. I don't shoot conicals, so can't say what it will do with them. I would think it would be ok with a Lee REAL bullet or a Buffalo Ball-ett. Yes you will need to clean the barrel good. Not that big a deal with the hooked breech.

Rebel,
Will I have to was the barrel of the Cabelas rifle with brake cleaner to remove the brown protective coating? Do you own one of these rifles? Do they shoot PRB and conicals equally well? Thanks
I have the Cabela's Hawken in .50 cal and really like it. When I got it I wiped with a bore cleaner till the patch came out clean and went from there.
My rifle likes 60 gr FFg triple7 at 50 yrds with a PRB and 50 gr of same with the T/C Maxihunters at 50. At 100 yrds I can keep a 2-3" group with 70/75 gr and putting my POA 4" high of center.
It took about 150 to 200 shots to level out my shot groups(season the barrel I think someone called it) after I got it.
I'm not a big fan of how dark the stock is but I can fix that at a later date with another stock when I get a rountuit and try my hand at building. The dark stock makes all that shiny brass really stand out though making for a real looker.
I really like how mine shoots and will be using it as my primary when rifle season rolls around :m2c:

I nunja tink you shoulda washa da barrel witha brake cleaner. I had a friend who did that and if I remember correctly he took the blue off the barrel.?????? ::

I have the Cabelas .54 and love the way it shoots, I like the looks of the snail over the drum,it just looks more streamlined and in my opinion is a bit easer to clean.
The extra weight also helps with recoil with the heavier loads.
Hope this helps. Iam sure you will enjoy whichever you choose.

IronMan

If you are looking for the Cabelas Hawken - call the bargain cave in wheeling, wv. they have some in there for about $200 or less last i looked. They have them on clearance from time to time also.

A local gun shop has a Hawken Sporter from Cabelas. They have it marked at $200, but I am sure it can be had for about 50 less. The bore looks new. The stock has some bumps on it though. Nice checkering!

tx50cal, Look in your pawnshops,in the last two months I have bought 2 renegades $100.00 apeice,and a greyhawk for $100.00.Also I tell all my hunting partners that I am in the market for T/C percussions so they look for me to.A friend of mine brought me a Tree Hawk the other day for $50.00. I to am set up to shoot 50 cal.I am gouing to order a 54 cal barrel for my renegade.The money you will save buying a good used M/L you can put towards a extra barrel.and have the best of both worlds. Just my two cents worth.Happy Hunting :front:

tx50cal,
I have purchased 3 of the Cabela's Investarms
Hawkens and have been more than satisfied with them. Two
in .50cal and 1 in .54cal.I also purchased two Green
Mountain Drop- in barrels for these. One in .45cal and
one in .36cal. The one in .45cal is my best shooting set
up out to 50 yards, but all are capable of 3" groups to
75 yards and slightly larger at 100yards. I'm a hunter not
a marksman and these groups satisfy my needs.
If i had to shoot for money at 50yards it would be
with the .45cal. Just MHO.
snake-eyes

Mine is a 50 and shoots PRB just fine. Haven't tried anything else in it. Yet! Powder is BM3 :thumbsup: :m2c:

Back