• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help with my flinter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a Shenandoah Traditions flintlock .50 cal. I am wondering if anyone makes a smooth bore barrel that would work with it. I would love to just go and buy a smooth bore but.... I can't really swing that right now. And I really want to shoot a turkey this fall. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

If it is legal in your state just use the .50 It won't tear up much meat and it will but one down when shot thru the wing butts. Been there done that. Dan.

I would love to, but the powers to be say no way. I wish we could just have a primitive season. Deer, Turkey, Ducks ect.

Chances are your out of luck.... As far asi know no one make's a smooth barrel that will drop in.... You can buy a barrel but you would have to cut the dove trails n tenons your self or pay someone and buy the you do that you almost have the cost of a good kit from say tvm or someone of that nature... I w gonna do a smooth barrel for my traditions Kentucky. But the final cost was almost 600$ after barrel and all the other stuff needed to make it fit, just want worth it

Bryon said:
.... As far asi know no one make's a smooth barrel that will drop in....

Me either, but if you want to make the one you have a smoothie (maybe you have another rifle for rifled shooting?) Bobby Hoyt will bore it and mail it back. Just when you call, let it ring. He will not answer until the machines are shut down.

Robert A. Hoyt
Freischutz Shop
700 Fairfield Station Road
Fairfield, Pa.
(717) 642-6696 Tel.

Oak Walker said:
I have a Shenandoah Traditions flintlock .50 cal. I am wondering if anyone makes a smooth bore barrel that would work with it. I would love to just go and buy a smooth bore but.... I can't really swing that right now. And I really want to shoot a turkey this fall. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Have yours bored out to a smooth bore cost ya less than $100. Of course the trade off is you lose your rifle but its a reason to buy a new one, or just hunt with a smootie.

The good old show me state of Missouri. And they have showed us what they think a primitive weapon should be. In-lines with scopes, crossbows,air rifles and single shot high powered pistols. That is what we have to contend with during the supposed black powder season. Im serious you can't make this stuff up. :td:

Thanks for all the info folks. I guess i should listen to my wife and just order a smooth bore. She has been trying to get me to for a year now. Anyone have a good suggestion if I was to get one built or do it myself. Would be using it mostly for turkey and deer. .62 cal you think.?

Your wife is telling you to buy a smoothie???? And you haven't done it yet???? :shake:

You know, I learned a long time ago the first step to a happy marriage is doing what your told. :wink:

If you haven't built or are a novice I recommend you contact Chambers at www.flintlocks.com if you are considering a kit, as theirs are spendy but about as close to snap fit as you'll get in a kit and their parts are second to none.

If you haven't built and don't have the tools, consider getting a gun "in-the-white", which is completely assembled but not yet finished, I recommend contacting Tip Curtis' Frontier Shop....no web-site but he can be reached at 615-654-4445 and just plan to drive across the Big Muddy to Cross Plains, TN and pay him a visit. You won't regret it.

Post your questions about smoothbores up above in that section and you'll likely get a lot more input. Enjoy the journey, J.D.

Last edited by a moderator:
Link Clay Smith

Link Mike Brooks

Link Roy Stroh

Link North Star West

Link TVM Matt Avance

If your going to order a smoothbore By golly get a good one. Life is too short. For the custom builders the price may seem high but not for what you get. You get a true heirloom that through research is closest thing to the genuine article.

Your looking in the neighborhood of $2000 for a good custom smoothbore. I recommend the Carolina Gun. Some a little less some maybe a tad more.

You'll have to pay a portion down,the balance due when the gun is finished. Depending on the builder this could be a few month to a year so you have time to put money back and spread the expense.

Clay,Mike and Roy all offer very good versions of the Carolina Gun.

Northstar offers of course the Northwest gun but also their early English.

In the links below are two Pedersoli Besses from Dixie. They are in the white, meaning they are fitted but require polishing sanding and stock finish. That's about the cheapest you'll fine for the excellent Pedersoli Bess.

Link Dixie Bess

Link Dixie short Bess

Thanks so much for all the good info. I will try to contact these folks to get a better idea about what direction I need to go.

Back