• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

help identifying a pair of old flintlock pistols

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pbrowning

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I was at an estate sale this weekend and the gentleman was a collector of older flintlocks and percussion cap rifles and pistols. I was wondering if anyone could help me identify this pair of pistols or point me in the right direction.

The first pistol is around 24" long, and has a bigger bore than the smaller more ornate one. I cant really make out what the markings across the top are, even under a magnifying glass.

pistol1.JPG

pistol2.JPG

pistol3.JPG

last ones of the first pistol

pistol8.JPG

Now here is the smaller of the pair. Its shorter, around 16". Regretably the plate on the backside looks new.

ppistol1.JPG

ppistol2.JPG

I say both are Medd or Arabic in origin. The stock style and profile of the butts give it away to me. I can't place a date on them cause they made them for a long time, probably still do somewhere :hmm: . A guess late 18th to end of 19th century. If you look at antique gun shows or even antique stores in general you can find them. They don't seem to be as collectable as other flintlocks because they don't have a history tied to us. Unless they are of really fine quality or have special identifying marks on them, I don't think they are usually worth all that much.

Agree, both appear to be Mediterranean origin with surplus European locks & barrels. A lot of Napoleonic era gun parts were traded out to that area and Africa during the mid-19th century.

pbrowning said:
Now here is the smaller of the pair. Its shorter, around 16". Regretably the plate on the backside looks new.

I think I've got one of them, the verdict was Levantine :thumbsup:

Half the backplate is missing, perhaps they weren't very well made.

PS: I think yours may have been sawn off in front of the first band :shocked2:

I have to say, as a handworker in metal, although not a gunmaker - I build live-steam locomotives and have done since the late 1960's - that the entire action, in particular the frizzen, of the second pistol appears to be cast.

and therefore probably not more than 25 years old...

My $0.02.

tac in Tokyo

Latest posts

Back