• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help! Authentic?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see. Can you elaborate?
Screws are very questionable for this period, often used more sparing

Most similar snapping arquebuses from this period have a lock more like this:
IMG_0018.jpeg

I haven’t seen one with their set up for the trigger button.

The backs of the stocks also don’t seem to be as parallel, but that can be survivorship bias
IMG_0019.jpeg

IMG_0020.jpeg

*I remembered an illustration from the beginning of the 1500s that has a closer shape:
IMG_9649.jpeg

However, this illustration that is allegedly from the Lucern Chronicle has arquebuses that have a slightly similar stock shape:
IMG_0021.jpeg

It’s also very questionable if there were snapping arquebuses in the 15th century. There is art of the period showing arqubuses, but it is unclear if they have locks.

Last edited:
This is the earliest complete snapping matchlock I am aware of and the Royal Armouries estimates their almost identical one (missing a lock and right handed) is from the first decade of the 16th century
IMG_0022.jpeg

Thanks, gang. Your input and knowledge are greatly appreciated!

This isn’t the first time I’ve been interested in one of the matchlocks that Lodgewood has had for sale recently. I see this one still is not very historically accurate.

It’s a shame so few builders are offering matchlocks. I know there are some in Europe but I’ve had a tough time arranging sale and delivery to the US from the maker in Poland who’s name escapes me.

I do have an American-made serpentine handgonne that is ridiculously fun to shoot, but also almost impossible for any realistic target shooting due to the design. I’m very fascinated with these early matchlock guns!

Ehh… close enough in the looks department. The general public won’t know the difference.

Probably as close as you will get unless you build one yourself or pay big money for an exact replica.

Thanks, gang. Your input and knowledge are greatly appreciated!

This isn’t the first time I’ve been interested in one of the matchlocks that Lodgewood has had for sale recently. I see this one still is not very historically accurate.

It’s a shame so few builders are offering matchlocks. I know there are some in Europe but I’ve had a tough time arranging sale and delivery to the US from the maker in Poland who’s name escapes me.

I do have an American-made serpentine handgonne that is ridiculously fun to shoot, but also almost impossible for any realistic target shooting due to the design. I’m very fascinated with these early matchlock guns!
I think the company that made the handgonne is supposed to have a proper matchlock released in the near future, but I remember seeing that a year ago and no word since.

IMG_0023.jpeg

Veteran Arms LLC becomes American Hasta Flagship Dealer

I think the company that made the handgonne is supposed to have a proper matchlock released in the near future, but I remember seeing that a year ago and no word since.

View attachment 279689
Veteran Arms LLC becomes American Hasta Flagship Dealer

Same! It’s a very nice Handgonne that brings me much joy when shooting. Exciting to say the least. I need to get it back out provided it ever stops raining.

But it’s more of a point and pray affair. Very tough to get on target!

Back