• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hello

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capnball

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm Neil (Capnball) new to the forum. I live in the Harford county area and I've got a nice cross section of muzzleloaders, I have a Knight MK83 inline .50 Cal. I also have an original 1862 (model 1861).58 Cal. And I have a reproduction 1847 flintlock Tower boarding pistol in .69 Cal. Does anyone know of a place where I can shoot?
I know Elk Neck state park had a range but as I understand it, that's going to be closed untill November. Any help would be great.

Attachments

• 75120.jpeg
    75120.jpeg
    69.3 KB · Views: 59
Welcome to the forum Capnball. :)

This area of the forum is for introductions so, the best place for your questions is out in the other areas like the General Muzzleloading section. Also a good place to ask about shooting ranges would be in the "Regional Forum" area where the country is broken into zones like the Northeast.

We don't talk about modern muzzleloaders like your in-line but anything that is traditional, designed before 1865 is fair game.

What's the beef with in-lines? I have exactly zero experience modern inline muzzleloaders including this one. It was a gift for my 60th birthday from my cousin (more like a brother) it uses Exactly the same cap, powder and saboted ball as my brothers brand-new 2018 side hammer traditions (Hawkins) granted it doesn't have the provinance of the 1861 nor the furniture and pinach of the 1847 reproduction flintlock but it does have a respectable place in the history of firearms. The MK83 Knight is included in the top 100 most collectable firearms to own. I have yet to fire it and that's all I really needed, a place close to me to shoot safely and legally. I have posted the query elsewhere as suggested.
Neil

This forum is set up for traditional muzzleloading firearms that were in use up to the year 1865 so the modern looking in-line guns are not included. In fact Forum Rule #7 says quite clearly,

"7. We do not discuss modern (in-line) muzzleloading firearms.
Early historic breech loading guns that do not use primed metallic or semi-metallic cartridges and meet the requirements of rule #1 are permitted for discussion.
See special rules at the bottom for posts about breech loading firearms."

The forum also does not allow discussions about certain types of ammunition for the same reason.

"9: We do not discuss copper and/or jacketed, plastic/polymer tipped bullets, sabots, power belts, or other 'plastic-wrapped' bullets. Smoothbores using plastic wads and steel shot are an exception to this rule."

As a side note, there was a time when discussions of In-line guns was permitted on the forum. Because of the all out war's that developed between the traditional hunters and the in-line hunters, the forum owner decided he'd seen enough so an all out ban on in-lines was created.

The new forum owner agrees that this forum should stay as it is and limit the discussions to firearms and reenacting suitable for the time period of 1865 and earlier.

The new forum owner also owns a muzzleloading site set up for modern guns if your interested. It is quite similar to this forum.
Here is a link to "Modern Muzzleloader" if you want to talk about your Knight in-line or any other firearm that they allow.

https://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/

I should add, the forum has a "Non-muzzleloading" area where discussions of modern guns and politics are allowed. To use it, you must pay a $18/year fee to become a "MFL Supporter". Although an in-line gun discussion might fit into this area, if any heated debates came from it, I would remove the topic based on rule #7.

Last edited:
Fair enough. Really, who knew there could be problems like this among like minded people. Thanks for the link, I'll check it out. BTW I own a Harley and a Yamaha so I'm really a very even handed person when it comes to what people like and don't like. I get into a hobby, I like it all! I'm watching some German guy build a wheel lock pistol from scratch on YouTube. Great fun to watch as I'm a retired mechanic, carpenter and draftsman. Thanks again for the info.
Neil

Back