• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hello! New member from the Lowcountry of South Carolina.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello Folks,

After wanting a muzzleloader for most of my life, I finally purchased one a couple of days ago. It's a factory-made 1996 Lyman Great Plains Rifle in 50 caliber. I actually don't have it yet but will post photos when she arrives. It looks something like this one, but I would say with much nicer walnut. I'm sure most of you will be familiar with this rifle.
View attachment 309726
A bit about me. I know absolutely nothing about muzzleloading. But I'm a fast learner. 😁

I'm in my low 60s and live here with my wife of 40 years in the beautiful Lowcountry of South Carolina. We are blessed to have access to 2500 acres of private coastal forest/farmland (a peninsula and a few small islands). This land has turkey, deer, squirrels, bobcats, lots of other game, and (unfortunately) coyotes. I spend a lot of time walking the beautiful fields, camping at least 20 nights a year, and hunting everything except the bobcats. Just can't bring myself to shoot one of those.

I've been a hunter all my life, but only took up "serious" deer hunting a few years ago, killing my first buck at age 59. Since I spend so much time on the property, I have gotten to know the habits of the game, and hunting with a centerfire rifle sure seems a bit like cheating these days. I can shoot deer out to 500 yards fairly easily. And so I am excited about moving to technology that requires a bit more skill. Eventually I may hunt with a bow, but for now this Lyman has me really looking forward to deer season.

I hope to be able to contribute to the forum and look forward to "meeting" you 'all herein.

Mike Islander
View attachment 309727
View attachment 309728
View attachment 309729
View attachment 309731
welcome fromN.C.

Welcome from SE Missouri! I would love to visit SC some day. I love NC and Lord willing will be there for a 4 day hike I help crew this fall.

Back