• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hello from South Dakota

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stantdm

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have used muzzle loading rifles and pistols for about 35 years. Recently I acquired a smooth bore Barnett pattern trade rifle reproduction from a custom builder and needed to learn more about loads for the flint gun. In looking things up I saw this site and it looked interesting.

You lucked into the right place. Your questions will be answered and, I expect, you will have some input to offer from your own 35 years of experience. Welcome. :hatsoff:

Thanks fellas. I shoot an old Ithaca Hawken 50 most of the time but have been intrigued with the Barnett trade rifles since I saw them at the Museum of the Fur Trade years ago. I seldom see them for sale around here but this one was at the last show and just finished by the maker. 20 ga. with a Chambers lock and Track's barrel. It shoots well but sure fouls quickly with a spit patch. I shot a few PRBs through it and like the way it ignites. One ounce shot loads patterned nicely at 20 yards. I will play around with it for awhile and see what it likes. Using Goex for now.

I know that country - last 9 summers I had a dog training camp in Timber Lake - probably not this year - too bad I like going to the Black Hills

Welcome to the gang. Lots of info available here for someone starting out. Read through some of the posts under "smoothbore" to get a feel for what's going on with a gun like yours. Spit patches a fine if you're shooting fairly quickly, but won't deal with the fouling as well as patched lubed with a greasier substance. many like a olive oil/beeswax mix, and commercial lubes are available. You'll probably find they work better at keeping the fouling softer and easier to deal with. :thumbsup:

Welcome to the site! I am looking to get a smooth bore hopefully in near future. :thumbsup:

Welcome from another South Dakota person.
Lots of good information here.

William Alexander

Welcome Stantdm. :hatsoff:

Do you ever make it down to Fur Trade Days (Chadron, Nebraska)? It's been a few years since I've gone, just haven't had the time, so I settled for running our traditional muzzle loading shoots at Northwest Nebraska Shooter's Association, Crawford, Nebraska. It's my understanding there's a pretty good muzzle loading group up in the hills.

Joe, I have not made it to Chadron for that event although I go to the Museum of the Fur trade and Ft. Robinson every now and then. There is a good muzzle loading group in the Black Hills and I belonged for a couple of years. I live on a farm and sometimes get tied up with things so there are a lot of their functions that I missed. They have a great shooting range near Ft. Meade and have a monthly shoot in the warmer months of the year.

Back