• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hazel Wood for stocks ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thamaz

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I just got to know of som Hazel wood, probably cut down by mistake as its really slow growing and protected by law here in Sweden.
Any one have experience in this wood, say as for stocks etc?

cal .61

I just got to know of som Hazel wood, probably cut down by mistake as its really slow growing and protected by law here in Sweden.
Any one have experience in this wood, say as for stocks etc?

cal .61

Well, the only Hazel I've ever run into was a few years back, man, oh, man was she ever hot. Great build, greenish eyes.....OOPS! :: :haha: Wrong sorta hazel! Sorry.

Anyhoo, I'm not sure if hazel grows in the USA, anybody know?

I would suspect that it may work out like walnut, or may have hardness like birch. As to any figure, or grain pattern, gosh, really could't be of any help, but it does sound interesting!

Have you got a botanical name? My wood reference books don't list hazel. If it's corylus avellana, my reference indicates it's an edible nut bearing shrub or hedge rather than a tree. The only tree I can find is turkish hazel, corylus colurna, which is a large tree but apparently not a comercial timber.

Why was it illegal to cut this tree, anyway?

never heard of any old timers usin HAZEL NUT WOOD,
They would use maple, poplar, walnut and cherry...
i would stick with what has used in the ole days....
.....but it is up to you....
it might turn out right purty....
i have a .22 crosman pellet gun with a homespun nontypical ash stock...that is the purtiest grain you have ever laid eyes on!!!! so i say do what feels right to ya
I buy 3 lb cans o nust here at KROGERS....i PICK out the Hazel nut first.....yummy....makes my mouth water jest ta think of em.....Hmmmmmmmm....yea!!!
*** WV SCROUNGER ***

WV SCROUNGER,

The dudes cutting the Hazel turned it into a large tripod for hoisting (Yes it was three stems) I

Blahman,

I need to know where you hang out. The only Hazel I know is Witch Hazel. Not a hottie at all...

Don't know why I missed the connection, but hazel is called filbert in the US, and is widely grown for its nut production, particularly in Oregon and Washington. In fact fresh filberts or hazelnuts should be appearing in grocery stores in a couple of months.

I can find sources of the wood on the net but I haven't found any description of its properties but one site said it was similiar to almond wood. If so, it's strong, nails, glues and stains well, good shock resistance, acceptable as a gunstock wood but very little color or figure.

My only experience with Hazel nut is Frangelico liqueur and it was a good experience.

They do grow out west. They are all over the Portland, OR, Vancouver, WA area. There was a golf course in Portland that was built on part of an old orchard. One of the fairways still had several rows of hazelnut trees (they are called filberts out here in the westlands)... I used to fill my golf bag with nuts when I played in the fall as I walked down the fairways :winking:

These were decent size trees in height, but the trunks seemed rather gnarled and maybe 10" or less in diameter. I dunno whether the wood would cut the mustard for a stock. I suppose there are different species back east they may be of finer material.

Cal. 61:
If it is wide enough you may make a half stock out of it. What is the color and figure of the wood? Also how hard is it to work?
Olie :imo:

It grows all over Southern Ohio. We have a lot of it in the fence rows on the farm. I have never seen any big enough for gunstocks, it's always in the form of bushes that get maybe 10' to 15' tall.

Regards, Dave

Cal. 61:
You can get a half stock out of a 6 inch wide piece by tipping the pattern on the plank. If it is dry wood you can get with a plank 2 inches thick. I have done it. You won't get in trouble with the law if you use Hazel wood.
Olie

There are 15 species of Corylus in the Northern Hemisphere,two native to the USA ie C.americana and C.cornuta. Neither of our species and none of the other 13 in Europe and Asia are significant enough to warrant research into wood quality,strength,properties,etc.In short,this indicates none are considered commercially valuable.

Blahman,

I need to know where you hang out. The only Hazel I know is Witch Hazel. Not a hottie at all...

That was in my youth. Then I met Mrs. Blahman and knew she was the one. I knew it, but she refused to believe me.

To make a long story short, we've been married for 24 years this comming October. Not too shabby, eh???

Cool story Blahman. When I met my wife, we were at a costume party (halloween). She went home and told her parents that she met a really nice guy. They asked what does he look like and she honestly could say "I don't know!" ROFLMAO!!!

My only disappointment that night is that I did not go with my first costume idea - I was going to go as Elmer Fudd. My bride to be went as a rabbit! (I took the easy way out and went as a GI - full face paint, field gear, LBE, etc.)

Sorry cal.61, she's only a figment of my imagination! Mrs. Blahman is the hub in the center of my wheel of life.

I just like having fun on this forum and getting a few chuckles out of everyone!

Really, if ya can't have some laughs and giggles in life, life must be very bad. :haha: :thumbsup:

Back