• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hawkeye's Killdeer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Leatherstocking tales...UGH, they're horrible. Natty Bumppo is the most irritating character I have ever read of. I've read LOTM, and the other one that was supposed to have taken place before, in the 1740's...I don't recall the title, but I do recall the annoying mannerisms of ol' Nat.

I much more enjoyed reading the "autobiography" of David Crockett. :thumbsup:

I've read "The Lord Of The Rings" four times. I write horror/fantasy as well as fiction set during the American Revolution. I don't think the ability to suspend disbelief, or the lack thereof, is an affliction of mine. I just couldn't get into "Last Of The Mohicans". More power to those who can. I'm the one who suffers if I'm unable to share in the enjoyment that so many people have obviously derived from Cooper.

LeatherMoose said:
Fenimore Cooper wasn't known for his research or accuracy. Read Mark Twain's commentaries on Cooper and you'll fall down laughing.

Who cares. LOTM stirs my heart and inspire imagination. The movie LOTM is so far from the book though.

The fact remains that these two authors Cooper and Clemens (Twain) wrote GREAT American classics. I consider Twain's criticism of Cooper in very poor taste. Vulgar at best. I enjoyed Cooper's writings and have leather bound books in my library by him. I have never considered that I was reading American history when I read these novels anymore than when I read Mark Twain's Tom Sawyer or Huck Finn. :shocked2: Two authors and two different styles of writing from two different periods in time. I wonder what Cooper would have said about Twain if given the chance. He may have been more of a gentleman than Clemens. :hmm:

You've got a good point. My dad is a literature professor and teaches Twain (Clemens) so I've heard some stories about his life and style. He was apparently one of those guys who is really cynical and speaks in a tounge-in-cheek faux angry style. One of those guys who is funny as long as he's not talking about you.

Getting back to the rifle itself, it's my understanding that John Bivins first built rifles for the movie in the style he considered PC. However, Mann rejected them as being too short for the "look" he deemed "HC" (Hollywood Correct).
I'd sure like to see the rifles Bivins built.
That said, LOTM is still one of my all time favorite movies and one I have to watch about once or twice a year.

Hey, I like the movie MUCH more than the book!!! They ditched all the annoying Bumppoisms. :winking:

Back