• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hawken rifle rebuild

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrn156

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I've been reading the forum for a while now and wanted to share my humble submission. This is my first muzzleloader and the first gun I ever built.
It's a Ultra-Hi .50 cal Hawken Rifle with a barrel marked made by Miroku Japan. I built it while sitting at a picnic table in upstate NY when I was 15 years old- 33 years ago. I wish I had taken some before pictures as the rifle really looked like it was put together by a 15 year old.

I've wanted a really nice flintlock kit for a while but thought I should practice on some old guns I've had and inexpensive parts before I buy an expensive kit.

One of the things I did with the Hawken rifle re-build was to ditch the modern adjustable sights that originally came with the rifle and trade them out for something more authenic. I put screws into the holes where the original sights were then cut the screws off flush and filed them smooth. I then positioned the new sight to go over the filled in screw holes. I filed a dovetail in the barrel so I could fit the new sights. Steel parts are browned.

I cleaned up the wood to metal fit and had to fill in a misdrilled screw hole in the trigger guard with a brass screw and and solder which I then filed and shaped.
I know its alot of work for an Ultra-Hi but it has sentimental value and its a good shooter.

muzzloaders026.jpg

muzzloaders024.jpg

muzzloaders039.jpg

muzzloaders029.jpg

I took it out the other day and worked up a load for this years deer season 80 grains of Pyrodex (I know-I Know but I have 3 pounds of it and no local stores carry black powder) pushing a Lee .50 cal minie ball. I was able to get 3 rounds touching at 25 yards. I started with 60 grains of powder and it was all over the paper, then I went to 70 grains which was a little better but not great then up to 80 grains which gave good results. I have more work to do on my load development but its still like 95 degrees out here in FL which makes more than an hour or so at the range less than comfortable.

target.jpg

Thanks for looking and all the excellent info.

not too bad. I would have liked to have seen the before and after pic. After pic looks great. Looks like it will shoot too.

... 80 grains of Pyrodex (I know-I Know but I have 3 pounds of it and no local stores carry black powder) ...

There isn't anything wrong with Pyrodex! :thumbsup:

You have a nice looking rifle. :hatsoff:

Yes its a 1:48 twist. I had no idea what the twist was.
I used a cleaning rod with a bore brush and tight patch using masking tape as a flag then slowly pulled it out letting the rifleing hold the patch then measuring the length of the exposed rod after a quarter turn. I wish I could claim credit for this epiphany but I read it here or on american longrifles.

Back