• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

haversack

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George

Cannon
Reaction score
This haversack has seen heavy use for 12 years and is still in prime shape. It was made out of light canvas of a knobby type which at least vaguely resembled homespun. I made the antler buttons from a small buck I took. The secret to this bags success is beeswax. When I finished it I melted beeswax and painted it into the fabric, everything but the strap. That made the bag completely waterproof, and the wax has never needed reapplying. If it begins to looked frazzled, I just hold the bag close to the campfire for a minute or two and the wax melts, flows and looks like new again. It is 16.5" x 13", an adequate size for me.

haversackA.jpg

haversackD.jpg

haversackF.jpg

Spence

Spence, you are a man of many talents :bow: :bow: :bow: I really like all the things you posted ,I think the ball bag and the vest are my favorites. :thumbsup: But a very good job on all . :hatsoff: Oh did i say i liked the mocs too.... :grin:

Spence beautiful work. :bow:

Beeswax is the secret too many practical finishes. I find uses for it all the time.

Mark B

Very nice bag. If someone reading this hasnt made a bag or used beeswax to waterproof,T.C.Albert wrote an outstanding artical in Muzzleloader magazine Jan/Feb 2009. He showes step by step how to do it. F/Y/I

3crows said:
Very nice bag. If someone reading this hasnt made a bag or used beeswax to waterproof,T.C.Albert wrote an outstanding artical in Muzzleloader magazine Jan/Feb 2009. He showes step by step how to do it. F/Y/I
I made mine using the directions from an article by Mark Baker in Muzzleloader, but I don't remember when the article appeared.

Spence

Spence I took your lead and coated my replica 1850 style civilian haversack with beeswax.

47379_1577882692931_1411543399_31535549_1723546_n.jpg

47280_1577882532927_1411543399_31535548_7330688_n.jpg

Mark B

Latest posts

Back