• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Has anyone else noticed…

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always go to the upper left and click on new posts, it is amazing sometimes how many people are introducing themselves as new members, some of them say they have been shooting ML for years and some newbies wanting to learn. The most I ever counted was twelve on one page.

I do know this forum is much more active than some I belong to.

I resemble this. Fired my first Flintlock in January. Been shooting for 40 years, gunsmithing, casting bullets and handloading for more than 30. Had a little percussion experience over the years and own a few but not much real interest. Stocked deep in cartridge components but shooting interest waned considerably during this latest shortage.

Enter the flintlock.

Being an obsessive DIY'er, i have rehabilitated two old muzzleloaders, assembled a Kibler SMR, built a fowler from a plank, and now have a Woodsrunner waiting to be built and am in the middle of another scratch build. I also taught myself how to knap flints and learned how to make really good gunpowder. I've made three powder horns and and have three more roughed-in. Will reviving my small leatherworking interest by making some shooting pouches to replace some of the Indian goat skin purses that I'm using now.

I still have no interest in percussion muzzleloaders or BP substitutes. It's 100% black powder and flint for me aside from my unmentionables. I intend to hunt doves this fall with black powder, have already developed satisfactory paper cartridge loads. I rarely hunt deer anymore, but would love to get a few wild pigs with a flintlock.

So a component shortage combined with a lifelong but waning obsession with unmentionables brought me to this.

Not a first-timer, but returning after a LONG absence, re-living my youth. I'm seeing it popping up around me locally like you say.

Wish a few off-the-shelf ready-to-shoot USA-made sidelocks would come back like in the hey days.

Wish a few off-the-shelf ready-to-shoot USA-made sidelocks would come back like in the hey days.

They are. Jim Kibler makes two styles and they are excellent right out of the box. You can pay $220 for a ready to ship piece of garbage that may or may not work after a fashion, or $300 for a ready to ship Kibler lock that rivals the best tuned locks ever made.

They are. Jim Kibler makes two styles and they are excellent right out of the box. You can pay $220 for a ready to ship piece of garbage that may or may not work after a fashion, or $300 for a ready to ship Kibler lock that rivals the best tuned locks ever made.

Oh yeah, I know, I have a Woodsrunner lol. You misunderstood, perhaps my wording was too abbreviated. I said "sidelocks" I should have said "side lock rifles". I was just dreaming out loud for a few companies in the U.S. to produce a complete gun ready to fire like in the old days - not a kit. No flames necessary I know its a daydream.

I think it's do to all the new survivalist and bushcrafters that are out there nowadays. They want simple and reliable and something that you don't have to rely on a factory to make so they learn the formula to bp and learn how to search for flints and now they have a rifle that they can survive on and not need any factory to rely on.

Oh yeah, I know, I have a Woodsrunner lol. You misunderstood, perhaps my wording was too abbreviated. I said "sidelocks" I should have said "side lock rifles". I was just dreaming out loud for a few companies in the U.S. to produce a complete gun ready to fire like in the old days - not a kit. No flames necessary I know its a daydream.
I feel the same way. Everyone says to buy a kit but folks like me do not have the skills for a kit. I have a high mechanical aptitude but I am no craftsman.

I feel the same way. Everyone says to buy a kit but folks like me do not have the skills for a kit. I have a high mechanical aptitude but I am no craftsman.
You don't need "the skills" you learn as you go, there's a multitude of good videos " how to do.." when it comes to Kit building, in fact Jim Kibler himself has made a whole series of them, God bless the Man.

You don't need "the skills" you learn as you go, there's a multitude of good videos " how to do.." when it comes to Kit building, in fact Jim Kibler himself has made a whole series of them, God bless the Man.

Leadhoarder isn’t talking about Kibler kits. All other kits out there require some inletting, and stock work, hole drilling etc. Screw any of that il and you don’t have a beautiful gun anymore.

Big difference for those who haven’t built a rifle.

Leadhoarder isn’t talking about Kibler kits. All other kits out there require some inletting, and stock work, hole drilling etc. Screw any of that il and you don’t have a beautiful gun anymore.

Big difference for those who haven’t built a rifle.
Awww....really? I haven't got anything but my own experience, and the advice and help from a good shooting friend of nearly 40 years standing who's built several muzzle loaders. But really...I nearly failed shop class in high school. So can it really be that difficult?

I've only built two trade guns; one a Caywood, and the second Track of the Wolf's fusil de chasse. The Caywood taught me how to drill straight holes. (I patched more that a few with toothpicks & stained the stock dark enough you'd have to look for them.) The French gun taught me a bit about locks and how to work over manufacturer's bad designs. The de chasse gun also clued me in on how to inlet French butt plates.

So I learned as I went along. There were bits I messed up...a little. But I figured out how to hide or correct these with a little thought, or the advice of my long time pal. One of the biggest lessons I learned is when to put the tools down and call it a day. So just do it...without deadlines, without schedules.

Awww....really? I haven't got anything but my own experience, and the advice and help from a good shooting friend of nearly 40 years standing who's built several muzzle loaders. But really...I nearly failed shop class in high school. So can it really be that difficult?

I've only built two trade guns; one a Caywood, and the second Track of the Wolf's fusil de chasse. The Caywood taught me how to drill straight holes. (I patched more that a few with toothpicks & stained the stock dark enough you'd have to look for them.) The French gun taught me a bit about locks and how to work over manufacturer's bad designs. The de chasse gun also clued me in on how to inlet French butt plates.

So I learned as I went along. There were bits I messed up...a little. But I figured out how to hide or correct these with a little thought, or the advice of my long time pal. One of the biggest lessons I learned is when to put the tools down and call it a day. So just do it...without deadlines, without schedules.

Wow. You sound like a wonderful person. Bless your heart. Thanks for sharing.

And…maybe some folks don’t want to pay $2,000 for a rifle that is punched full of screwed up and repaired holes and that doesn’t come with the graceful lives that make longrifles so attractive. Glad you like yours that way.

Those enjoyable lines only come from a lot of work and experience (or a CNC machine…sorry Mr K!)

People like to upgrade. Many people started out with percussion guns years ago and have always had desire to go flintlock "someday". Maybe that "someday" is finally here. Plus I would almost guess the cap shortage could have possibly been a factor.

Back