• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Has anyone else made or bought an 1803 Harpers Ferry?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is an original 1803 I have. I think it's really cool because it was altered by Leman for the state of Pennsylvania in the Civil War. The barrel is bored out and cut with 3 groove rifling for the Minnie ball and has a Leman percussion conversion for shooting musket caps.

I also have a TRS 1803 in .54.

Attachments

• IMG_3147D.jpeg
    IMG_3147D.jpeg
    115.3 KB · Views: 0
  • aat-922_1.jpg
    aat-922_1.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 0
Back in the early 1970's , bought an Italian copy , with a .58 cal barrel , instead of the original .54. I put an H+ R tang peep sight on it , which allowed 3 1/2 " groups at 100 meters from a rest. The most accurate minnie it liked , was a Lee target minnie. There slugs had a delicate skirt , and higher powder charges than 80Gr. FFG ruined the accuracy by blowing the skirt. A flatter trajectory was not possible. Though the rifle was very accurate , the trajectory had about an 8"rainbow in it , and for deer hunting , as long as the critter was around 60 Yds. , the rainbow in trajectory could be predictable , but at greater distances , the point of impact was too difficult for me to use. When a hit was made on a deer , it was a sure kill. I tracked a doe once for a mile or so , and she turned back on her own trail. I shot her facing me , at about 10 yds. . The minnie hit her where the neck enters the body , and the 400 gr. minnie passed down the spine through 17" of chops and stalled , causing instant death. Those bullets , made a hissing sound with a loud slap , when they made contact. There was no doubt that the bullet hit meat. Back then , we were all just starting to learn about m/l flint guns , and deer hunting. Of the 50 guys at the club , only two had custom flint guns. I sold the Harper's Ferry rifle , as the lock became troublesome , and put in an L+R replacement , which fixed the lock problems........oldwood

These were also made as complete rifles-I had one and forget the manufacture.
Extremely well made. I think Dixie sold them as well as other companies.

I have one reportedly made by someone in Montana 40+ years ago. I think it was a Track kit. At any rate it's a great shooter and a joy to carry in the field It's correct at 54 cal

A couple of years ago, I traded a CVA mountain rifle for a Navy Arms / Zoli / 1803
Harpers Ferry in 58 cal. The cock had to be removed, heated, and bent forward to change the
geometry. Best trade I ever made.

I passed up a couple of the replicas a few years back and regret it. Funny how you awaken to something after the chance has passed! One may show up at auction, but now the prices will be rather high.

While we are talking 1803's. I have an Italian reproduction. I am not very happy with the lock. Does anyone out there have experience converting one over to a Davis lock? Thanks!

I put together one of the Pedersoli percussion kits. It was easy and fun to build and very enjoyable to shoot. It's quite fast to reload compared to a rifle. Mine is a .54.

Mine is a Track of the Wolf's Special Projects Kit. At that time, it meant that the kit was a set of Rifle Shoppe Parts. Mine has the radius grooved Colerain barrel. The lock was built by the Rifle Shoppe. Very accurate. An excellent rifle.

I would love to know impressions or experiences with either any of the kits for an 1803 or opinions about the kits (in general) or suggestions for someone interested in one.
I am currently working on a 1803 H F flintlock rifle. With some direction from a friend who has made one, I purchased a drawing from Track, a wood blank and some parts from Pecatonica and Log Cabin. The Davis lock according to my friend is a barnburner!! If you are thinking of a kit, Pecatonica can usually take care of your needs.
Larry

Latest posts

Back