• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hanging deer overnight

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Do you find that hanging the dressed/skinned carcass overnight in cool weather seems to make a better flavor venison? Or if cool enuff 2 nights, seems to 'drain' and tenderize the meat all the better. Before cutting up and storing in the freezer. :hmm:

Being to hot to hang for a couple days here, I put the meat in an ice cooler for 2-3 days. Works good.

I like to pack them in ice and drain the water when I replenish the ice daily for a week. But then, I live in the Carolinas where it is often quite warm. When I lived in Indiana, I would not have needed ice. I would have needed to keep the deer from freezing whihc kills the aging enzymes.

CS

I've found that the heavy "gamey" taste is due to adrenaline and lactic acid built up before the deer dies. The longer they live wounded, the more builds up.

Make a clean kill, and they should not taste "gamey".

I've seen many people hang their deer, so it won't kill you, but I don't do it.

My deer tastes yummy.... :grin:

Legion

When i lived in eastern Oregon, where is was cooler, i would hang them in the garage for a week to 10 days.

Isn't that what they do to age beef? Quality butcher shops state that they hang beef to age it to give it better taste.So to me it makes sense that given the correct weather conditions hanging venison shouold enhance the flavor.

My 2c :thumbsup:

So to me it makes sense that given the correct weather conditions hanging venison shouold enhance the flavor.

...and make it more tender. If your weather is cool enough, put a game bag (cheese cloth) over it and hang it someplace convenient. If too warm where you live, you might look into a professional processor, either to do the whole thing or just to rent you space in his walk-in fridge.

Nice discussion here

http://www.chefdepot.net/agingwildgame.htm

This is a good article. I hang mine a week if it is cold enough. If I get one in the September season when it is too warm to hang, I bone it and freeze it immediately. We perfer the meat that is hung a week and use the tougher meat that isnt hung for jerky and tamales.

One thing that doesnt get mentioned, is hair on the meat. Deer hair will impart an unpleasant flavor to meat. To avoid that unpleasant flavor, I flame the carcass as soon as I get the skin off. Yes, flame. I use a propane torch and flame the entire carcass just enough to burn the hair, then I wipe the carcass down to get any remains of the hair off the meat. This way, there is no hairy flavor on that meat. Why do I do this? Because that is what my meat processor recommended.

B

Last edited by a moderator:
If you pound it with a tenderizing hammer it won't be tough. I know people that do hang it but down here there's not many days cold enough. I always butcher mine as soon as possible then freeze what I don't immediately use.

With all due Respect to your meat processor, you would be better off washing down the carcass, than burning it.

I bone out the meat, putting it in pots, pans, and crocks, and filling the refrigerator with the meat. Without the bones, its not too much to store. I drain the blood, and wash off the meat, pulling off any hairs I still find, or grit and debris that just seems to get in everywhere no matter how much care is used. I then dry the meat with paper towels, wash and dry the pots, and put the meat back in, rotated, and turned, so that it can age, being rotated and cleaned every 12 hours, for one week. I cut away all white parts, including sinew,which has to be peeled off the loins, tendons, and connecting tissues. All contain enzymes that continue to destroy the taste of the meat and make it tough. The fat is the main culpret, and it goes in the trash ASAP.

At the end of a week, I cut the large muscles into steaks or roast, wrap them in plastic wrap, and then put them in a ziplock bag for freezing. The Forelegs muscles are cut into 1 inch chunks, for stroganoff, or chilli, and the rest of the smaller muscles are added to the rib scraps and anything else to be ground into venison burger, or to make venison sausage. I typically get about 5 lbs. of cubed, lean, meat for venison stroganoff, or chilli, so it goes a long way. 15 plus pounds of ground venison is the norm, and I will make sausage of it if I have a choice. I add beef suet for a binder, about 30 % by volume, which I buy at my local IGA. My recipe does not require a sausage press, or pigs intestines. It uses liquid smoke, and curing salt to chemically cook the meat and spices, while wrapped in plastic wrap to form the sausage to size. Then its cooked at low heat in foil, cooled cleaned of grease and fat, and is ready to eat, or to be stored. Anything you can do with Beef, you can do with venison, with the exception of cooking venison at most medicum rare, and no harder. Venison does not have the fat in the muscles- marbling- that beef does, and it will not stay tender if you over cook it. I use wet recipes to cook the venison so its fork tender to cut. The liver, heart, and tongue are eaten as soon as possible, when they are still sweet. If we were all smart, we would gut the animal only AFTER starting a fire, and getting a couple of skillets heated. Then we would cut the liver into steaks, dredge them in flour, and fry them in hot bacon grease with bacon and onions sweating in the second skillet to put on top of the fresh liver after it is turned over in the frying pan. Cooked fresh, liver has the texture and sweetness of Prime Beef Rib Roast. It is that good. The onions and bacon make a terrific garnish.

Meat processors use bandsaws and other power equipment to cut up carcases, Those saws leave bits of bone rubbed into the meat, which introduces bacteria, and the bacteria spoils the meat. I don't want to store something I can't eat, and that includes bones. Processors want to give you the bones, so you recognize the cuts of meat as being somewhat similar to the same cuts of beef they sell. I don't need it. And I don't want anyone with a saw going anywhere near my venison. I have been treated to a rack of ribs cooked over an open fire, while being frequently basted with beer, and it was delicious. If I were going to prepare venison ribs right away, I would leave the rib meat on the bones, cut them out, baste them, and cook them. There is just not enough meat on the ribs of a deer to make all that worth the time. I prefer beef, or pork ribs, anyway. The rib meat gets cut away, and goes into the grinder.

Good eating.

IF you can keep the temp between 37 and 42 degrees, hangin' meat for a week is a good thing. Agin' the meat tenderizes it, and enhances the flavor. But the temp is critical, too hot and decay begins, too cold and the enzymes quit workin'.

A deer does not "age" like beef - in other words, the meat does not break down during hanging.
Its wise to hang the meat long enough to let it cool out as is the case with any animal.
Agreed - the quicker the kill, the better for all.

With our muzzleloader season running through the end of January, my main problem with hanging deer is that they freeze solid. Guess I could leave them there all winter if I wanted to, but I'm afraid they would dry out. :hmm:

I agree with JWP. Beef benefits from hanging due to the marbling (fat) breaking down. It becomes more tender as it hangs. Venison is lean. It doesn't have the marbling. IMHO get it clean and cooled down, the sooner the better. Then process it.

GW

I used to make my living cutting meat, and I can tell you that aging is needed as much with a Deer as it is with beaf. I hang my venison for 1 week, and if the temp is too hot I hang it at the local butcher shop, it only costs me $10. The post about the bone dust on the meat is bang on too. The bone dust on the meat destroys the taste. I have had people eat roast venison at my place and compimented me on how good the roast beaf was.

Blizzard,
I don't do my own butchering so I try
to make a point to get my harvest to my
prosessor the same day of harvest. If late in
the day and depending on the temp. I may put
bags of ice in the body cavity and get it to
the prosessor early the next day. I do know he
hangs them in a cooler for 2 days prior to
butchering. Except for a roast or two and a
couple of steaks and of course the tenderloin
all else is ground or turned into sausage.
snake-eyes :hmm:

In OKC we hve a local processor working 7 days a week 9 to 9 during deer season. Costs less than $80 to have a deer processed. Also does some of the best taxidermy around.

Yes!

It is nothing more than controlled rotting of the meat! That is why they have to scrape the green mold off of Fillet Mignon, cause it sat there and rotted. But it shore am good!

rabbit03

some may disagree and some might find my way interesting....after butchering 45+ deer in my hunting days since 1983 i have always butchered all of them as soon as i have gotting them hung ,skinned and washed with cold water and a good brushing to clean off any debris and hair....i section them out to fit into plastic shopping bags and then put on the bottom of my refridge on towels to catch any drips of blood....then i can get the butchering done within 3 - 4 days at my own pace and into the freezer....maybe doing it this way is like letting it hang fer the 3 - 4 days to age like some have been saying to get good tasteing venison i don't know....two deer i have harvasted in the last 4 years one was my 8 point buck 2 years ago that dropped after 20 yard walk with my bow so no adrenaline was pumping before death....and another smaller buck that i shot at 35 yards with my flintlock through the heart run like hell fer 100+ yards then piled up....both deer were processed the same way and tasted like prime beef....now one was pumped up and one wasn't but both came out the same as good table fare why i'm not sure....could it be cause of how i chunk the deer into pieces and cool off as fast as i do in my fridge as some do hanging there's again i don't know....all i know is that my dad said he would never eat venison he was never a hunter also....one day my mom asked fer some steaks to make fer dinner one night to show him that there's no difference :rotf: so i gave her some....then he was told after dinner what it was and asked if i had any more they could have....my mom cooked it just as she would beef in the broiler....so if anyone can explain what or why my process does or doesn't do to make my venison come out as good as it has been doing so fer 20+ years....that's my way and i'm sticking to it :v ................bob

Back