• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Handgun build yourself kits

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JNG

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Been thinking about building a muzzleload handgun. I would like it to be in .54 caliber. I have a percussion rifle in .54 but, I am thinking about going with a flintlock. I have on a scale of 1 to 10 in menchanical ability a 5. So that is my skill level. Any models to look at?
Thanks for reading.

With the Lyman, if you throw away the front sight, replace it with a bead, mount the rear sight where the tang joins the barrel, round out the bolster, remove the silly stampings.
You will have a very fine looking pistol.

Old Ford

old ford - Interesting sight configure. Can you post a photo of your pistol with sights mounted?
thanks

Sorry,
I don't have any right now.
I have done a few as mentioned.
A pair of Lymans, I made for a friend a few years ago.
And two others.
Fill in both dove tails( sights ) peen with a hammer and file flush.
Put a shot gun bead for the front sight.
Mill or file a slot in the tang, then slide in a rear sight.
It is easy to do, and looks a lot better.
After browning you cannot see the traces of the old sights.
Old Ford

Yep, the Lyman is a nice kit with some very non-authentic sights. They are basically inletted for all components and require only stock sanding and finishing, as well as doing something with the metal.

For a more authentic look, re-do the front sight to be very tiny, discard the goofy rear and replace it with a more original style, available from many sources like Dixie or Track-of-the-Wolf.

If you are a gifted "5" on a 1-10 scale, you should have no problem with this

Only someone under the age of 18 could see these tiny sights. Older shooters must have had incredible eyesight to accomodate the tiny sights as well as the target ... or maybe missed alot.

In my opinion, the Lyman lock with coil springs is slow. It can be replaced with an RPL lock with flat springs from the L&R Lock Co, although there is some minor wood removal needed in the lock recess.

That pistol is a great first project and will serve you well. Nobody can see the 20th century coil spring lock, and I wouldn't bother to spend the money on a L&R lock (but I would for the rifle).

I hope you enjoy building this.

Thanks for your respones. The Lymans will be. This is a no hurry project, but then the more I'm looking it should be soon.
At this time I'm working on my Meed drink project, I'll be posting what I have learned. I'll be starting with apple for the start.
Thanks again,
Joe

Back