• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Haddaway lock?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George

Cannon
Reaction score
Can anyone post pictures of a Doc Haddaway flint lock that you know for certain is a Haddaway lock?

Thanks.

Spence

Spence, I can email you a picture of two I got ifen I had your email address.

This sounds crazy but I heard that the frizzen on Haddaway locks were radioactive. I know, it sounds crazy and wondered if anyone else had heard anything about this.

Never heard of that one although one of mine has something on the frizzen that makes it spark like none I've seen before.

At one time, some people, possibly Haddaway or others, put a thin shoe of depleted Uranium on their frizzen faces.

When struck with a sharp flint a vast shower of sparks were created from the uranium.

For several reasons this practice was outlawed by the National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association.

I believe their reasoning was it is definitely not historically or period correct, it gives an unfair advantage to the person using it and it releases small amounts of uranium to the area.

While the radioactivity of the depleted uranium may not in itself be particularly dangerous there is good evidence that this material can settle in the lungs and cause a lot of problems.

Depleted uranium is not radioactive, but it is EXTREMELY toxic. There were some rather nasty cleanup issues in the Balkans where DU armor piercing ammo was used rather freely.

All those reasons plus more. The sparking was non-directional. Bystanders could be showered with the toxic sparks. And, with bp around, there was an added danger factor.
Bad stuff. RIP

Zonie said:
At one time, some people, possibly Haddaway or others, put a thin shoe of depleted Uranium on their frizzen faces.

When struck with a sharp flint a vast shower of sparks were created from the uranium.

For several reasons this practice was outlawed by the National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association.

I believe their reasoning was it is definitely not historically or period correct, it gives an unfair advantage to the person using it and it releases small amounts of uranium to the area.

While the radioactivity of the depleted uranium may not in itself be particularly dangerous there is good evidence that this material can settle in the lungs and cause a lot of problems.

Russ Hamm was the one selling and promoting the depleted uranium half-soles. I think at the time Russ may have been starting to feel the pinch of suddenly having competition in the lock business after having little to none for many years.
I only saw a demonstration once. A friend had an old rebuilt military lock with the uranium frizzen that was just lying on a shelf. When the flint hit, it looked more like an arc welder in use than a flintlock. It was a short-lived but interesting experiment in doing things a little differently.

Rumor has it that if you need a replacement frizzen for a Haddaway lock that a T/C frizzen is a match. I have heard that Doc shared his frizzen pattern? Not gospel but just what I've heard.

reddog97 said:
Spence, I can email you a picture of two I got ifen I had your email address.
Reddog97, I sent my email in a private message yesterday, did you get it?

Spence

I was told by a reliable source that TC made the castings to Doc's specs and then he built and tuned them.

It's definitely not HC or PC, but neither are all those vehicles parked at Friendship every year.

reddog97 said:
It's definitely not HC or PC, but neither are all those vehicles parked at Friendship every year.
This is one of those lame rationalizations that people use to justify their not-so-accurate gear. Nobody cares what happens in the parking lot.

You don't have to ride a horse to be in a juried event either. It's about the event, not how you got there.

Here is the one I had, it is similar to a siler but in between the large and small.

DSC02553.jpg

Thank you very much, longball58. That is identical to another sent me privately by Reddog97. I'll repost those with his permission.

DSC00261copy.jpg

DSC00264copy.jpg

Spence

Back