• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Had to let her go šŸ˜¢

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheTyler7011

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Was time to let it go. Damn. With the value of these things unless you love it you just gotta let it go

Attachments

• D4DCB249-1006-4FAA-9E5B-F7D02FB983F9.jpeg
    D4DCB249-1006-4FAA-9E5B-F7D02FB983F9.jpeg
    231.4 KB · Views: 3
If you love something, let it go. If it returns to you cherish it forever. If it does not, it was never meant to be yours. That said, if somebody offers more than it is worth, it means he owns it! Think Skeeter Skelton wrote that somewhere.
Yup. I also believe that just cause you love something doesnā€™t mean itā€™s gotta be yours forever. Enjoy it, learn from it, and pass it on to make room for other stuff.

I used to get tired of stuff and sold it cheap. Then, years later, discovered the stuff I sold was worth a lot now and would have been excellent investments. Plus I missed it. Got to the point where I felt that I could always get more money, but can't always replace stuff I'd sold. If I want something else, find the money for it rather than selling something.

Now I need more space...:doh:

Old guys remember what we paid for stuff - and what that same money would buy at the time. When you make $500 a month, a $100 rifle's a big deal. Today, that's not even a family dinner at a so-so restaurant. Today's prices seem stupid high to some of us, but that's our frame of reference.

We're not stingy, just price-shocked b/c a decent M/L rifle ($1,000) represents two months' wages in our memory. Widows are easily cheated b/c few of us told our wives what we actually paid for stuff when it came home. "Grandpa paid $50 for that old pistol." ...guilty.

Old guys remember what we paid for stuff - and what that same money would buy at the time. When you make $500 a month, a $100 rifle's a big deal. Today, that's not even a family dinner at a so-so restaurant. Today's prices seem stupid high to some of us, but that's our frame of reference.

We're not stingy, just price-shocked b/c a decent M/L rifle ($1,000) represents two months' wages in our memory. Widows are easily cheated b/c few of us told our wives what we actually paid for stuff when it came home. "Grandpa paid $50 for that old pistol." ...guilty.
Just this morning I was contemplating a new .308 bolt action Unmen.

So I went looking. 600 bucks. 900 bucks. 1,200 bucks. A quality scope 300 bucks.

Twenty years ago, all of these prices would be well under half. You could buy a bare bones bolt action for 249 bucks on sale. Not no mo.

I decided that my cobbled together 69 dollar surplus 8mm Mauser and 150 dollar scout scope that shoots .290 MOA at 50 yards will suit me just fine.

Just this morning I was contemplating a new .308 bolt action Unmen.

So I went looking. 600 bucks. 900 bucks. 1,200 bucks. A quality scope 300 bucks.

Twenty years ago, all of these prices would be well under half. You could buy a bare bones bolt action for 249 bucks on sale. Not no mo.

I decided that my cobbled together 69 dollar surplus 8mm Mauser and 150 dollar scout scope that shoots .290 MOA at 50 yards will suit me just fine.
I'm been done buying unmentionables for some time now, but I know and agree with what you're saying.
In some cases we 're better off looking at the used ones as opposed to some new ones, like Remlins as they
are called. Quality has suffered in some takeovers. Mine are all JM's.

Was time to let it go. Damn. With the value of these things unless you love it you just gotta let it go
I'm on the fence with a couple of guns staying or going, it suck's. If you sell one,
there's now a gap where it used to be. Do you fill the gap with another or move
out more? Once you start, where does it end? Scary! šŸ¤”

If you love something, let it go. If it returns to you cherish it forever. If it does not, it was never meant to be yours. That said, if somebody offers more than it is worth, it means he owns it! Think Skeeter Skelton wrote that somewhere.
Or, another version I had heard; "If you love something, let it go. If it returns to you cherish it forever. If it does not, it was never meant to be yours hunt it down and kill it. :oops:

Other than memories attached to some of my stuff, looking back, it was the fun/challenge of the "hunt" to actually own (if but for awhile) most of it.

Kinda like finally owning a good pony. You finally get one. Can 't ride it, grandkids don't want it, and now you have to feed it. Time for pony to go down the road.

I thank the Lord we didn't buy them a pony when asked. But, really, five safes of unshot, unused wildly assorted guns is at my stage in life..sorta the same thing. That pony needs to go down the road. Daresay others on here are in the same boat.

I'm been done buying unmentionables for some time now, but I know and agree with what you're saying.
In some cases we 're better off looking at the used ones as opposed to some new ones, like Remlins as they
are called. Quality has suffered in some takeovers. Mine are all JM's.
Can't beat the JM stamped rifles.

My .30-30 lever is a Marlin/Glenfield 30A pre-safety. JM stamped.

Has a permanent place in the heard.

Last edited:
Back