• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Habitant Split Pea Soup

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cruzatte

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I tried a new recipe for split pea soup. I got it out of The Book of Buckskinning Vol. III. Here it is.

Petticoats on sum of these hyar fellers plumb skeers tha BeJesus outta this pilgrim! :eek: I am afeered my poor ol heart couldna take it! :crackup:

Davy

Then be afraid, be very afraid.

1. I go to "Shooting Accessories and the "boys" are talking about purses to carry possibles in.

2. So I go to "Historically correct clothing" and find out that the guys are making "weskits" (sp?). So I do a google picture search and find out that a weskit is the blouse that female nurses wear!

3. Then I go to "Revolutionary War" and find out that the boys think they either need to grow a ponytail or buy a powdered wig. :results:

Cruzatte, I use ham and no wine, but otherwise looks just like the one I use... in fact as I type this I have a pot on the stove cookin up a batch for the coming week...YUM!

I couldn't even follow the recipe right. I had never had any cloves before; so I ate one. Boy howdy, it was good, tasted like Christmas candy but hot! So I decided to put in 10. Then, I get this brilliant idea of crushing the cloves in my needle-nosed pliers to maximize the taste. It worked. :(

The result was a gallon of soup that tasted like cloves! It was ok, but nothing to write home about. I ate it as fast as I could and will try something else tommorrow.

That's why the great chefs are men. We try a lot of stupid things, and one man in a million manages to get someting right.
:crackup:

That's why the great chefs are men. We try a lot of stupid things, and one man in a million manages to get someting right.

If thats the way it is Gabby, I musta met my DH after he did all those stupid things.. because when he puts his mind to it is he one good cook.

and I guess I didnt read that recipe up there close enough..the only thing I use cloves in is spiced cider. Gabby, I guess you found out that cloves are rather strong, and when you crush em up they are even stronger... so if you decide to use them.. just use a couple and DONT break them up :haha:

My favorite split pea recipe is, however much peas you want, then triple the water, add one onion and garlic(several cloves), and chopped up ham, if you feel like it some celery and grated carrot. For spices, add a bay leaf or so...a bit of thyme is also welcome addition, as well..let it cook, and just before its done, salt and pepper to taste.. add water as needed as well..sometimes I use chicken boullian and leave out the salt pretty much.. sometimes I cook a hambone down and use the broth from that... :winking:

So, where did the recipe go? I meant to copy it, and now it's gone.

Cheers, Bill

Back