• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

h&a under hammer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dave, you did a heck of a fine job restocking that underhammer. Just beautiful.
M.D., I was thinking that's what that brass attachment was for. I am wondering if a fella couldn't adapt a cone-shaped flash guard to ride, inverted, on the hammer nose itself. Be less likely to catch on something.

ramrod 62 said:
just purchased a hoppins & allen underhammer rifle and know very little about them . believe its 45 cal. don't know twist rate or much of anything.would really like some info. any help would be appricated.
did you get your answer yet????

in response to Vomir yes I did. ordered new nipple from track of wolf, and upon arrival of parts will be back at range. thanks to all who replied. :bow:

I tried about every flash guard configuration I have seen and as I hold my support arm right up against the back of the flash guard (Schutzen style) I was always getting wrist burned. Finally in desperation I came up with this design and it works superbly although fairly challenging to mill out. It fits the three bottom flats on my barrel and is held in place by the nipple itself. The nipple is a long thread from TOTW and is fit to bottom out on the inside level with the bore.
I removed the hammer spur to make a speed hammer but believe I could have left it on and made it work with a bit of heat bending.
I cock it with a deer antler tine although it can be done with your fingers.
The guard does not hang up on things because of the rearward canting angle.
Two other mods added to this gun making it much better for target work was the strap pistol grip and the trigger was lengthened to move it to the back of the trigger bow/main spring.

Bill, while I have you here on this thread, how is the mule ear spring holding up?
Always like to follow up and see if things are holding up and if improvements can be made.

I don't know of any complete rifles being made on them currently but I'm pretty sure the actions are still made as my cousin gave me one in the white last winter.

just where re you in pa.? are you near me?

I have 6 under hammers. 2 heritage models and two offhand. one heavy target and one I am still building. of the 5 completed all are .45 not one uses a .433 ball. going to an auction that has a .45 target advertised.
all use a .440 ball and .018 patch. I have been shooting them in matches for 20 years and never had a problem with being bit by cap fragments. even had a nipple blow out one time with no problems to me or bystanders.

the early ones had a 1/4 32 thread for the nipple. the latter had a 1/4-28 thread. I have had no problems finding parts for them.

Here's one of mine. Buggy rifle with a 20" barrel in .45. Makes all sorts of noise with 45 grains of powder, and it is just a big BB gun with around 20. Great gun!

It would sure be great if someone with the bucks would start making H & A Under hammers again at a reasonable price. Pocatonica (sic) is way to proud for the average mans pocket book. I know that times have changed, but I paid Dixie $79.95 for my Buggy Gun kit waaaaay back in 1975.

I have several H&A's and two custom made rifles in my small collection today. Love the ugly critters!

I don't recall ever having much of a problem with my H&A setting things on fire or dropping pieces of fired cap on me --or my wife who shot it most. There is a cup in the face of the hammer that catches that kind of stuff if you don't overload so the hammer is fired back at you. I did find a piece of copper tubing that fit perfectly into the area around the nipple and made a flash guard anyway.

Never tried with an under hammer, but about 90gr of 4f in a .45 T/C Hawken will shoot the hammer back to half cock, 120gr will flip it back to full cock. I expect if an underhammer were load hot enough to do the same you might get some real damage to the support arm. Just be sensible and you should be OK with the H&A.

The Gun Works in Springfield, Oregon is making one they call the "Ultimate Underhammer." Look them up. I have a Pacific Rifle Zephyr in .62 Cal. It's a fine hunting gun. I don't know if they're still being made.

M.D., That spring held up very well. I have since traded that rifle for another one. I believe that spring will last a long long time. It was perfect.

Bill

I know that there is at least one manufacturer of underhammers but they are quite expensive. I don't remember the name of the company but you might find them by Googling "Underhammer Rifles".

If you have any rifle building skills, I think Deer Creek Products in Waldron, Indiana may have all of the parts minus the barrel. I built one from parts from Deer Creek and then sent the action to Long Hammock Barrels in Florida to have a barrel fitted to the action. The breach plug is unique and must be fitted to the action. That's why I had to send the action to Long Hammock. At the time, the barrel and their work cost me in the area of $200. That was several years back, I know it must be as bit more by now. It's a dandy rifle.

Here's an interesting website
http://underhammers.blogspot.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
Back