• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Gunstock wood type question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The real reason for the post was to find out why you never see a stock made out of any type of oak. Not that I want to use it for practice or anything, just wondering out of curiosity.

Static,
There is a very good article in the Jan-Feb 2004 issue of Muzzleloader Magazine called "Historic Gunstock Woods" by Steven A. Shepherd, who, the article says, is a "furniture conservator" and firearms restorer.

I don't know if the article is available thru the web, but he states that oak was rejected for it's tendency to split along the growth rings, and also because of its high tannic acid content, which would cause discoloration or after rust on iron parts. :results:

I do remember, as a child, helping the old folks split our local "post oak" for fence posts. It would split like butter, both ways, at least while green.

Regards,
Terry

Back