• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Gunshow Finds

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vzett

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Given the current economy, I thought I'd try selling some reloading and black powder supplies at the local gun shows in NW Florida as an excuse to get wholesale accounts with my favorite online dealers and to be able to buy lead from the local scrap yard (they won't sell at retail). After two shows, it's a bust as a money-making enterprise as I keep spending even with my sales.

This area is a tough sell for quality muzzleloaders, but it makes for a buyers market when people bring things to the show as most of the dealers aren't interested.

Below are my recent muzzleloading finds that I couldn't pass up-
1. Italian Zouave replica in good condition. The patchbox hinge is broken, but otherwise the rifle is sound. It came with the sword bayonet and a vintage full can of FF Goex with a similar vintage tin of musket caps. The powder is in good shape, not so sure on the caps.

No identifiable maker on the rifle - just proof marks, caliber, and 'Italy'. The stock is actually two pieces and comes apart via the nosecap and 2nd barrel band. I wasn't the 1st to try lightly hammering the 2nd band forward before figuring out that you remove the nose cap and slide off the forestock.

The hammer does not have a 1/2 cock notch (appears to be original) so it's a range only gun in my view. Should be a good shooter though.

If I keep the rifle, I'll probably strip the stock and stain it darker with aquafortis and polish the brass.

2. Pietta Navy Arms import 12 gauge double. It has a bit of blueing wear, especially on the left barrel which is more a purple color, but otherwise in fine condition. It's got pretty engraving on the trigger guard, lock plates, and extended tang. A nice complement to my Berretta Anniversary model 12 gauge over-under. It'll be fun to see which I can shoot better.

3. Thompson Center Hawken in .50 Cal with the laminated wood stock. Not exactly traditional, but boy is it a looker. Original owner had fired it perhaps 6 times since new. It looks new in and out and I had to work on the set trigger just to loosen it up from never getting used.

My 1st muzzleloader was a .50 T/C Hawken that I kit built with a traditional look (buckhorn sights, aquafortis stain, ...) and it's still my go-to gun when I need absolute reliability and accuracy. This new one will make one of my kids or a friend a great 1st rifle for much less than the $600 new price they go for now.

gunshow_1.jpg

thompson_center_2.jpg

You did very well my friend. I get some pretty good deals myself at these shows, you gotta love gun shows. :)

Ah gun shows, yep there are some deals to be had right now.
As to not being able to buy lead from the scrap yard I had a similar problem- until I said I wanted 100 pounds, then they were happy to deal with me. Yeah I know a 100 pounds seems like a lot of lead but it goes fast and turns out to be less than a years supply, I cast ofr my budy and myself so it goes quick.
My latest gun show purchase is a TC New Englander 12 guage- $200

Just curious on what the Navy Arms price was. My Grandson just bought one off Log Cabin for 450.00 plus tax. One guy had a Zoli, I looked at it but forget what he had on it. Wasn't a lot, but there not my cup of tea. It looked just like yours. The Navy was a ten year Turkey gun and in good conditon, not much wear or abuse. Dilly

No doubt good pickups, but I know of no Zouave repro that came from the spaghetti factory without a half-cock. My first guess would be that one of our kitchen-table smithy brethren tried to do some trigger-lightening work and bollixed the tumbler notch in the process.

Its absence may be of no consequence to you, but if you decide to turn it around (and these Zouaves, Zoli or not, seem to be very popular), you might wish to attend to it. There's a good how-to at this link: http://www.nwtskirmisher.com/useful-locks.shtml

Good smoke to you!

Last edited by a moderator:
As popular as those guns have been over the years, you should be able to buy a replacement Tumbler for that Zuave. It should not take much time or effort to put it in. Most of these are the rough castings, so the time is spent in polishing the contact surfaces.

Don't worry, you'll be turning a profit any day now. :rotf: Just like me and my boat.

I do gun shows full time for a living. I know what you mean about traditional muzzleloaders not being very popular there. I wish I could sell muzzleloading gear, but I had to go with tactical stuff to make a living at it.

You're sure right about finding good muzzleloading deals though. Prices on modern guns have gone through the roof as the demand went up, but muzzleloading stuff has taken a big fall. Been buying a few myself. I just passed a Ruger Old Army for $350 at the last show, which is a pretty fair price.

Thanks for the link on the half cock fix. The Zouave would be much safer with it. For what I have in the gun including the accessories I can't complain about the price I paid even if I need to fix up the lock.

Asking price for the 12 Gauge double was $250, pretty much a price I couldn't walk away from given the condition.

Real good price and it has a sling to boot. I would have a hard time passing it by as my grandson would take it off my hands if I didn't want it. thanks Dilly

Latest posts

Back