• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Guineafowl in SA

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christiaan

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Me and my two younger sons went to the Springbok Flats in South Africa this weekend to hunt some Guineafowl[url] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guineafowl[/url] and francolin. I used a 10ga Pedersoli Double and Josua used a 12ga single barrel fowler that MVTC market on your side of the big pond.
Here is Josua in a field early in the morning.
CopyofNaboom1.jpg

I missed alot of birds (like to give them a sporting chance :grin: ) I did get a francolin late in the day. Josua did not get a presentable shot till late in the afternoon. On our last run,while we encircled the last field of the day, a Guineafowl flushed out just behind him and he shot a perfect shot. Smoke and the Boom...and a Guineafowl tumbling against the blue sky. Dad saw it all and it was a beautiful sight. Josua was real proud of his first Guinaefowl. Interesting, only me and Josua was using Front-Stuffers.
CopyofNaboom5.jpg

The day ended absolutely perfect. It should be a day a 13 year old will always remember. And,.. it is so much better with a Muzzleloader :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Bet that was fun. We used to have a flock about 20 birds on or place up in N.Y. Great for keeping the insects down especially ticks but they got to be pain in the arse and ended up in a kettle. :grin:

Good flicks. I did not know that these birds could fly. Some of the farmers here in SE PA have them in the yard to eat ticks. Apparently they love ticks and they are attractive birds. Make one heck of a racket though.

I love the shrill racket they make. It is the true sound of the African bush. They greet the morning with so much enthusiasm. I wish I can have a few Guineafowl in my small back garden. Interesting, when they have young 'uns they are very quiet so they do not draw the attention of Jackalls.
They sure can fly, unless you break their wings to keep them in the yard. They can also run very fast. A hunter will not catch them from behind.

Neat pics Christiaan , josua should be proud!! I once heard they used them as alarms around the castles in the old days ( like geese ).

AND of[url] course..frogs[/url] legs taste like chiken.. :shocked2: congrats on the hunt! any huntin with a young'un is a memory made! (seems old ones always ferget... :hmm: )

Nice pictures, Christiaan!!! :wink:
Congratulations to you and Josua on a great day! :thumbsup:

Rebel said:
Taste like Frog Legs. :grin:
I thought you'd have said "Smell like Fish,taste like Chicken.... :hmm: There's a woman that live not far from here and her Nickname is "GuineaHen"
:rotf:

francolin, is a very tasty bird. if prepared rite, it tastes kinda like bald eagle.

//ttfn..grampa..

A Francolin is a wild bird, not unlike a pheasant in behavior and habitat but much smaller. There are many varieties of these birds all over the world. You can look at some pictures here:
[url] http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=francolin&gbv=2[/url]

Steve

Halftail said:
"Guinea Hens" as we call them here.What do they compare to in taste?

They taste horrible.... :shake: :barf:

I prefer pheasant when it comes to gamebirds :grin:

My grampap use to raise them. I remember him saying that you could'nt scare them before killing them or they were'nt fit to eat. He would hide in the shed and while they were scratching He'd shoot em' in the head with his .22 pump. Then of course Grandma got to pluck and dress them. :haha:

i heard the same thing about not letting them get scared before killing them or the meat wasn't any good..heard that when i was a little kid...

Latest posts

Back