• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Griffith Hawken lock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trot

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I am trying to find information on the Griffith Hawken lock. Can anyone tell me anything about it? Is it still being produced, quality, where one can be purchased? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Greetings Trot,

I have a Griffith Hawken lock and matching 1" breech plug and hook tang. The hook-on breech and tang are NOT slant breech design, but straight. This straight design was more common to J&S Hawken rifles. The slant breech design seems to have been used almost exclusively on S. Hawken's and J.P. Gemmer's Hawken rifles. Now I just know that somebody out there is going to post an example of an exception to what I just wrote. OK, my shoulders are strong: I can handle it.

Back to the Griffith lock. I purchased mine in 1985 and it is exceptionally high quality The main spring was very, very strong and had to be reground to a lighter fall.

As I understand the story, this lock was patterned after an original by the 2 Griffith brothers and produced in THE GRIFFITH MACHINE AND TOOL COMPANY. Several years or more back, the company was sold, and the lock produced under a different name that I do not recall.

Hope this will help you.

Best regards John L. Hinnant

thanks for the info. I have an unusual project, a partially built short barreled fullstock rifle. The previous builder inlet the lock, but the lock is no longer with it. Using the full size photos in the Track of the Wolf catalog, I found none of there locks will work. I would not mind enlarging for a bigger lock, but there are no larger in their catalog. I have an Investarms Hawken that is somewhat close, and I have seen pictures of the Griffith but can't be sure because the pictures were not actual size. It is a pretty nice piece of wood and I would like to avoid using any kind of filler around the lock!

Greetings Musketman,

Do you have a current address for the HAWKEN SHOP?

John L. Hinnant

To my knowledge, this is correct, if I find out otherwise, I'll repost...

The Hawken Shop
Original Hawken Rifles
P.O. Box 593
Oak Harbor, Washington
(360) 679-4657
FAX (360) 675-1114
1-800-450-7111
E-Mail [email protected]

Trot, Muzzle Blast magazine for July, 2001 has an article, "The Original Griffith Lock" by James Higley. Nice story with photos. If you want this, I could photocopy it and mail it to you. Edit- I MAY have a Griffith Hawken lock. A customer supplied it to me to build his Hawken from the parts he had, but the mainspring seems a little light and I couldn't find a correct replacement. It is engraved and stamped "J & S Hawken" on the outside of the lock plate. It is stamped "W M" inside the plate. The bolster is not cut out for a drum. Neill Fields thought it might be a Griffith, or maybe also Track of the Wolf. If it will help you out, contact me.

I have an original Griffith Tool lock and matching breech plug/tang. This was bought in the late 70s, early 80s. The lock does have a massive mainspring. They were designed to copy the J&S straight breech style. I am just about to start construction on a half stock J&S using this set and a walnut stock as a lot of these were originally stocked in. I can make you a tracing of the lock plate if you want. My guess is that the lock is still the same now. The current owners of the Hawken Shop name do indeed sell this lock and breech system. You may want to contact them for a tracing. I also have one of the Griffith flint style breech plug and tang set ups on a J&S fullstock flinter. The Hawken shop also has these.

I got a chance to see the original Hawken Shop in St. Louis back when the Ressels had the store there. They had quite a few original Hawkens that you could actually touch and photograph. The newest owners still have some of the same products in their line. You can access the web site at: www.thehawkenshop.com

Roger Petrella
Franktown, CO

Forgot to add. I have an original Golcher lock on it's way to me right now. These were used on some Hawkens and many other "mountain rifles". I could also check to see how it's plate is size ise. You can always make a plate to fit and put the internals from any lock on it too.

Roger Petrella
Franktown, CO

Thanks everybody! I guess i will be contacting The Hawken Shop.

Latest posts

Back