• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Greetings from England

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Comrade Coffin

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I would like to say a big hello to all my colonial cousins. I am a keen muzzleloader living in the south of England and I am very much looking forward to participating in this on-line community. I have a flintlock rifle and a doglock musket and I thoroughly enjoy them both. The rifle is new to me and I will need some advice and guidance in order to get the best out of her, and I believe this is the best place to go.

Welcome aboard. Your location caught my eye-what are the laws on ownership and storage of muzzleloaders and revolvers like out there?

Welcome, good to meet you! You should be able to find about anything you want to know about your firearms here.

Welcome to the forum Doc. I see that you've been busy right away posting. That's good. Enjoy and thanks for joining our merry crew.

Welcome to The Muzzleloading Forum and a Big Hello from Eastern Nebraska !

:thumbsup:

Thank you very much for the warm welcome to your excellent forum. I have very much enjoyed getting stuck-in to some topics already.

To answer Mr 1911nutjob's question:
1911nutjob said:
Welcome aboard. Your location caught my eye-what are the laws on ownership and storage of muzzleloaders and revolvers like out there?

The gun laws here in the UK are rather tight, and we are highly rstricted on what we are allowed to own. Muzzle loading long arms and pistols require a permit from the police (as does any firearm). To get this you have to prove that you need it by belonging to a gun club or shooting assocaition & then go through a police vetting procedure including a sign-off from your doctor (the 'not mad' declaration). They also inspect your secure storage facility (all guns have to be locked away immediately after use). We cannot own fully automatic weapons, and semi autos can only be 12-gauge or 0.22 cal long-arms. No cartidge revolvers or automatic pistols are allowed.

I currently have the following weapons:

Two 7.62mm Moisin nagant rifles (one sniper, one regular), a 303 Enfield, two underlevers, a 22 scoped & moderated bunny-basher, a Pedersoli rontier 50 cal, a 735 cal doglock musket, a repro 1858 Remington Army, an india pattern Brown Bess, and an original Stevens Falling block in 22 calibre, and a side-by-side shotgun.

You will be pleased to know that the black powder guns are my favourites.

Doc it's wonderful to see another chap from the UK here. When you get a chance, start a thread in the flint or pre-flint forum and let us see some photos of that dog lock please!
You'll find several countrymen here, all valued contributors.

BillinOregon said:
Doc it's wonderful to see another chap from the UK here. When you get a chance, start a thread in the flint or pre-flint forum and let us see some photos of that dog lock please!
You'll find several countrymen here, all valued contributors.

Why thank you very much indeed Bill, I may even know one or two of them, as this is a small island

Welcome! Hopefully we can be of service and we look forward to your participation.

Doc Coffin said:
. . . including a sign-off from your doctor (the 'not mad' declaration).

Whew! I hope they never adopt that policy here - unless "amusingly eccentric" is still acceptable. We're all a little off-center here. And thank God for it. :hatsoff:

Stumpkiller said:
Welcome! Hopefully we can be of service and we look forward to your participation.

Doc Coffin said:
. . . including a sign-off from your doctor (the 'not mad' declaration).

Whew! I hope they never adopt that policy here - unless "amusingly eccentric" is still acceptable. We're all a little off-center here. And thank God for it. :hatsoff:

I'll explain off this thread down in the discussions section.

tac

Doc Coffin said:
Thank you very much for the warm welcome to your excellent forum. I have very much enjoyed getting stuck-in to some topics already.

To answer Mr 1911nutjob's question:
1911nutjob said:

The gun laws here in the UK are rather tight, and we are highly rstricted on what we are allowed to own. Muzzle loading long arms and pistols require a permit from the police (as does any firearm). To get this you have to prove that you need it by belonging to a gun club or shooting assocaition & then go through a police vetting procedure including a sign-off from your doctor (the 'not mad' declaration). They also inspect your secure storage facility (all guns have to be locked away immediately after use). We cannot own fully automatic weapons, and semi autos can only be 12-gauge or 0.22 cal long-arms. No cartidge revolvers or automatic pistols are allowed.

I currently have the following weapons:

Two 7.62mm Moisin nagant rifles (one sniper, one regular), a 303 Enfield, two underlevers, a 22 scoped & moderated bunny-basher, a Pedersoli rontier 50 cal, a 735 cal doglock musket, a repro 1858 Remington Army, an india pattern Brown Bess, and an original Stevens Falling block in 22 calibre, and a side-by-side shotgun.

You will be pleased to know that the black powder guns are my favourites.
Much obliged for satisfying my curiousity from "across the pond". I didn't know you could have a semi-automatic anything. Can you store the BP handguns at home, or do they have to be kept at the club? I've heard of all the horrible gun laws out your way, but it's nice to have a feller here who can dispel any myths. BTW, I'm partial to the Enfield myself. :thumbsup: **Edited to add that if it makes you feel any better, some places here like Chicago aren't much friendlier to gun owners than your homeland.

When I left England (1976)gun crime was almost unheard of, and the laws although restrictive weren't to bad, but from what my folk tell me now they are terrible ! Both the regulations and crimes.

Sorry what I should have said in the last post was welcome its a great place.

@nutjob - mornin' from tac in East Anglia - let's carry this conversation on down in the discussion part of the forum, eh? and leave this bit for the 'Hi there's! before a mod moves us.

Best

tac

English said:
When I left England (1976)gun crime was almost unheard of, and the laws although restrictive weren't to bad, but from what my folk tell me now they are terrible ! Both the regulations and crimes.

Actually gun crime is not that bad - it is restricted to certain areas as a general rule - it is, however, a subject of much press hysteria. Also must gun crime is commottte by people using illegally acquired firearms. Knife crime is a much more serious issue. I think more people in the UK die in road accidents in a week than from gun crime in a year.

Gun licensing is very tiresome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back