• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Greetings from across the pond

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ogur

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Greetings!

I am Ogur! I'm from the Netherlands and a member of a shooting club (ofcourse, otherwise I wouldn't have any rifles now would I)

So far I have been shooting rifles, mainly lever actions. This is great un to me, though the re- enactor in me loves the older tech as well. It's a good way of improving yourself by limiting your usage of fancy new gadgets. Like primers. And metallic cartridges. And such. I've picked up an interest in front loading rifles and started looking for a forum of likeminded people to see if my interest is deep enough, or can be made deep enough, to warrant buying myself a smoke pipe. So, I'll be reading here, asking questions, and probably more and I hope I won't bore you all to death in the mean time.

I'm actually thinking I might even like flint locks better than percussion locks. More fiddly things to learn!

Oh, right, introducion basics. Well, I'm 35, married, 2 kids, a dutch shepherd, 2 cats and live in a village in the eastern part of the Netherlands hugging the German border. And I, well me and my family, have plans to move to Sweden. Preferably sooner than later.

Best regards,

Ogur

Welcome Ogur,
Learning to use muzzleloading rifles is great fun and the more complicated yoou make it with a flintlock adds more fun to it.
I had a correspondent in Krefeld, Germany, just across your border who had to cross into the Nederlands to do any shooting at all and then for only an hour or two once a month.
Let us know what you decide to on as a final choice and maybe we can help with any problems you might have.

Dutch Schoultz

Welcome to the forum. The fact that you can only shoot a few hours once in a while makes me feel how lucky I am to be here in the US. I have been building flint locks since 1969 which makes me a little older than you. I hope you meet as many good people in the shooting sport as I have over the years. Lots of good/fun information here.

Welcome from not so far away in the South (Paris, France) !

Ogur, Welcome to our forum my friend! We are honored to have you join us. Let me take this opportunity to tell you a little bit about our forum and its members.

You will find like minded folks as yourself here! The majority of our members have decades of knowledge and experience. They would be more than happy to answer any questions that you may have. We would also love to hear what you might want to share with us as well!

Our forum is a very friendly and lively place. New topics are being created on a daily basis. Something new for you to checkout all the time!

I can guarantee that you will learn something new each and every time you visit this forum. I have personally learned more in just one year here than all the others combined. You will too!

Again, We are honored to have you as one of our members. We also look forward to hearing more from you in the very near future.

Welcome aboard my friend!

Respectfully, Cowboy :hatsoff:

Thank you for your welcome! Here in the Netherlands I'm limited to the shooting ranges and luckily I live 10 mins drive away from one. I shoot roughly 50 hours a year at the moment. I hope to be able to do more in Sweden. My club rents the range 1 or 2 nights a week and I work in full continuous shifts, so I miss quite a few evenings due to work.

Personally I prefer to shoot with as few paraphenalia as possible. It makes you a better shot in the long run.

I started out with a .22LR match rifle as is mandatory over here. Just the plain rifle, no jackets or belts or whatnot. I also own a Marlin 336 in 30-30. And now I might pick up something new again. I have to check with the range if they will allow flintlocks as my righthand neighbour shooter might not really enjoy a face full of fire. Percussion shouldn't be an issue though. There are several antiques shooters in our club. I prefer replicas myself. Don't want to risk destroying a piece of history. And also a lot easier to get a replica past the Almighty Wife, pricewise. Who needs food anyway?

Then there is safe size to consider. I most definately can't fit a long rifle in mine. I'll have to check the regulations if a muzzleloader needs to be locked up over here. Otherwise I think I'll be looking at hawken style rifles mostly.

Ogur said:
I have to check with the range if they will allow flintlocks as my righthand neighbour shooter might not really enjoy a face full of fire. Percussion shouldn't be an issue though.
Ogur, my friend. I am left handed and have shot right handed flintlocks with never a problem. I have both left and right handed rifles that I shoot left handed with never a problem either with safety or accuracy. I too had brought this subject matter up in the past with those same concerns that you have. There is a lot of left handed shooter's who shoot right handed flintlock's and vice versa. It's totally up to you and your friends though!

I am also glad that you are able to get some shooting time in even though it sounds awful hard for you do to work.

Thank you for your reply and we hope to hear more from you my friend.

Respectfully, Cowboy :thumbsup:

Back