• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Flintlocks Anonymous

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see positives in the progression of a shooter.
Generally, it starts with the easier firearms and sights. Some stay there, and that's fine.
Some drift to the golden oldies and away from scopes.
I LOVE a good aperture myself. With the proper aperture, I'm as good to 200 as I am with a 4x scope.
Some go even farther back. Muzzleloaders. Unmentionables, sidelock percussions, flintlocks...
Then, there are the smoothies. A stubborn and determined lot you are!
I think this progression, in reverse to some, is a wonderful thing. Get bit by the shooting bug, THEN go for the challenge. Some can do it the other way. More, I fear, would walk away and not return. Everyone has their pace and niche.
It's a beautiful thing.

Centerfire guy for my entire life then less then two years ago I discovered the beauty and art of the flintlock and ain’t looked back.
Course I’m keeping the large majority of my centerfire stuff for “practical reasons” but, except for a monthly check up and wipe down, they don’t leave lock up anymore.
Flintlock fever has me now and, with all the intricacies of loading, shooting, maintenance, and the sheer history of them, centerfire shooting actually seems kinda dull and boring now. Funny…

I can quit anytime I want! 206C64A0-56A7-417F-B2AA-6C77431151A4.jpeg

i am stuck in a church basement sitting on one of those freezing cold metal folding chairs ... the floor is grey linoleum ... a guy gets up on the itty bitty stage and says, "my name is John Doe, and I'm a flintlock shooter." and the crowd says in unison "Hi, John."
ut's a meeting of flintlocks anonymous ...

i am stuck in a church basement sitting on one of those freezing cold metal folding chairs ... the floor is grey linoleum ... a guy gets up on the itty bitty stage and says, "my name is John Doe, and I'm a flintlock shooter." and the crowd says in unison "Hi, John."
ut's a meeting of flintlocks anonymous ...
"John with us today, he has made some small flint hammers, and small pieces of chert; they will be next to the cookies during the break. "🤣

As a relatively young person maybe I can speak for my generation. We seem to be going the other way, I've noticed a clear mantra for the "what's the newest technology that makes hunting easier". Here it's all about long range guns and thermal scopes. I don't think it'd be a stretch from my experiences to say most hunters here don't eat venison. Just shoot a stag from as far as possible, cut the head off, leave the rest and put a photo on social media.

I myself love hunting and history, and muzzleloaders - particularly flintlocks are a great way to experience that. I had a pretty pivotal moment a few years back. I shot what many would consider to be a once in a couple of lifetimes stag. After, I had a bit of an hollow feeling at the idea of going back to shoot deer at 4 or 500 yards. I then had something of an epiphany for myself. Above all, I love the challenge of hunting. So I got myself a muzzleloader and enjoy hunting more than i ever have now.

I have 3 flintlocks and 4 caplock ML rifles and I’m pushing 83 years! None of grandkids interested in ML at all! Good quality stuff and all accurate shooters! I’m screwed!
Thats a shame.

My 4 year old son was "loading" his toy gun the other day by slinging his toy canteen over his shoulder and pouring powder into the barrel. He's off to a good start.

Latest posts

Back