• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

green tomatos HELP!!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Birdman

62 Cal.
Reaction score
With the weather calling for snow the next day or so I broke down the garden n ended up with near 2 five gallon buckets of green canning style tomatos. Hate to waste em but ya can only eat so many fried tomatos. What can I do with them besides adding to the compost pile? HELP n thanks ahead of time-- YMHS Birdman

I have had lots of green tomatoes and had to do something with them.

Here are some Ideas;

(1) give most of them to Family and or friends

(2) Spreed them out and let them ripen and use or can

(3) Pickled green tomatoes with garlic is good

(4) Dry them; Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Cut tomatoes ¼ thick, lay tomatoes on oven racks {place tin-foil under racks} or a cookie tray. Let dry.

Dry tomatoes 2

Ingredients
¼ teaspoons Sea Salt
5 clove Garlic chopped
½ teaspoons Fresh Thyme (Leaves Only)
½ teaspoons Chopped Fresh Chives
1 teaspoon Chopped Fresh Basil
¼ cups Olive Oil
1 pound cut tomato into 4, ¼ picas

Preparation Instructions
Preheat oven to 250 degrees.

In a cast iron frying pan heat oil, Combine salt, garlic, and fresh herbs, to frying pan. Cook for 2 or 3 min, set aside and let oil cool.

Line a roasting pan with parchment paper or just oil the pan.

Cut tomatoes in half or ¼ and coat with the cool Olive Oil & herbs. lay tomatoes cut side up on the prepared pan, Bake for 3 hours.

When cool, place in an airtight container and drizzle with the remaining olive oil. Store in the refrigerator. Or

Make Dry tomatoes just as said above, stuff tomatoes in caning jar, But Use one cup or more of hot Olive Oil, and fill tomato stuffed jars with hot oil. Use flavored oil in jar when cooking to add a nice flavor to foods.

(5)Feed to chickens, My chickens love tomatoes

(6) There is always the compost, Some of my best tomatoes come from my compost the next year. :thumbsup: Good Luck

I have an old recipe of my grandmother's for green tomato mincemeat. It is a longtime favorite in my household and a great way to use up quantities of green tomatos. When I get home I will post the recipe.

Mart

Here is the recipe for green tomato mincemeat. It is delicious.

Green Tomato Mincemeat ”“ Makes 8 ½ quarts

1 peck (8 qt) green tomatoes
Chop then scald and drain twice (this removes acidity)
2 lbs chopped raisins
1 cup chopped suet
2 Tb. Salt
5 lbs sugar (10 cups)
6 quarts apples cored and chopped

Melt suet, add tomatoes, salt, and raisins, simmer. Add sugar then apples, cook until tender and then add:

1 cup cider vinegar
2 Tb. Cloves
2 Tb. Allspice
2 Tb. Cinnamon
1 Tb. Nutmeg
Juice of 2 lemons

Mix well. Pack in hot sterilized jars and process pints or quarts at 5 pounds pressure for 25 minutes.

Thanks for the idea - am having same issue with excess green tomatoes and will try some salsa!

:hatsoff: thats whats so great about this forum, their are people from all over the world that are willing to share ideas and knowledge at the drop of a hat with each other, fantastic YMHS Birdman

I heard putting them in a cardboard box and putting the box in a cool dark spot will allow them to ripen then they will last u over the winter. I haven't tried it but its sounds like it would work.

Back