• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Green Mountain swamped barrels & a trip to Cains

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tommy Bruce

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I took a trip to Cains Muzzleloading & Outdoor store(formerly Mountain State muzzleloading) and handled a green mountain swamped barrel today. It was .40 cal, 38" long and I believe their "B" profile. It seemed to have a nice balance and appeared to be of good quality. Has anyone had any experience with these and are they the same dimensions of a Colrain "b" or Getz "b"? At 160.00 it is a bit cheaper than the others. I'm thinking of one for an upcoming project for my son. By the way the folks at Cains are very helpful and the service was excellent. Ed and his son Scott seem to be good folks to do business with. All in all a good day and I even splurged and bought Mr. Shumway's RCA vol. 2 along with the other things I was looking for. :front:

I would buy a Rice bbl

Comes with the breech plug installed (properly)

The outside finish is amazing

Inside the bore is flawless.

All this for not so much more.

I have this same BBL from Rice and it is perfect.

:imo:

The Green Mountain barrel doesn't (at least any that I have seen anyway) have the breech plug included at the price of $160.00 After you add in the price of the breech plug and possibly the cost of having it fitted for you then it isn't such a bargain after all.
I would rather have a Colrain than the GM and the cost will be close to the same in the end. And after buying a .40 "B" profile from LC Rice I would rather put a little more money into it and get the Rice over either of the others.
I think you will find that all the 38" swamped barrels are now being made to the same profile though you can realistically expect small variations due to machining.
The Colrain will need to be drawfiled and have the threads cleaned and chips cleaned out of the barrel.
The Rice comes polished, clean, with a better fitting breechplug and a burnished bore ready to shoot.

Back