• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Green Mountain Barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

navaho

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a 54 caliber hawken that I am thinking of buying a GMB 1/66 for ball barrel. Has anyone used this barrel? How accurate have you found it tobe?

Have a GM .54 cal. barrel on a Hawken I built and initially had trouble w/ shredded patches if more than 100 grs. 2f was used. Took some "Scotchbrite" scouring pad material and ran it through the bore perhaps a dozen times and evidently that eliminated a wire edge on the rifling. This rifle shoots consistent 6" groups { possibly better eyes could improve on this } at 100 yds. w/ a load of 120 grs.2f and that's been good enough to down 3 elk. What's more important than group size to me is the absence of "flyers" which I had before the "Scotchbrite" cure. As of now, I have no complaints what-so-ever....Fred

I have a GM barrel .54 cal. I've put about 85 .530 speer balls through it.With my measure set on 70 grs.of 3f 777 and .020 Eastern Maine patches lubed with hoppes#9 plus it's pretty much 1 hole at 50 yards.A little bigger at 100 off the bench.430gr.TC maxi-hunters and 100 grs. of 2f 777 shoot into 2-3 inches to the same point of impact as the round balls at 100.I am really happy with this barrel.None of the other TC's or CVA's I have come close to this barrel.

My last target with my .54 Renegade/Green Mountain has four balls overlapping in the 10 ring. 50 Yards offhand. X sticks at 100 yds will go into the 10 ring if I'm doing my part. .535 ball .015 patch 110 gr 3f.

Back