• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Green bore lights

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you want to see 'rust' ... get the WHITE color ones ... hard to find, but they do exist in 2, 5 10 or 50 (good for Sutlers!) packs.

LED.jpg

Ew to me but always ready to learn! What is it with the green light? Does it show rust or imperfections better than white lights?
White light would probably be better, but I find the green ones work just fine. A suggestion, lay the gun down on a table or bed and place the light just inside the muzzle, the lit end going in first. Use a thin dowel (or ramrod if its not to big) and slowly move the light down the bore to get a good, detailed observation of the bore as you do so. dropping a bore light down to the breech with the lit end up can be a little dazzeling since they are so bright.
The only thing better would be to buy a cannula light/camera to look over the bore but they are VERY expensive.
Lastly, on any gun you want to buy, run a patch down the bore to see what comes back up with it.

I have a few different bore lights, red and green, but I can see more detail using my small Mag Pen Light. It's very bright and held at the right angle I can get my eye right down there for a clear view of the barrel clear down to the bore.
If I want an even brighter, almost blinding, look then I drop down one of those polished aluminum doohickies and shine the light down, but then the bore is blocked from view.
Works on everything from my .50 cal Pennsylvania and my Musket on down to my .45 cal pistols and cap and ball revolvers....even works on my .22 unmentionable

I use Mini Mag light. I is good for seeing cause it really lights things up. It works well for cartridge guns Draw backs are it is only good down to .54 cal. muzzle loaders and it almost too bright for pictures. I'm going to try one of the green suggestions for pics.

A simpler, much more effective way to see the bore is to run a clean white patch down and then shine a good light at the muzzle. You'll see the bore much better and won't be blocking the first 2 or 3 inches with some gizmo dropped down there.Try it, you'll like it.

Extract the patch with a worm.

.45 acp case with tiny mirror from childs craft pushed inside. Mirrors available online too. Good for larger bores anyway. Shine a light in and plenty bright.

IMG_1668.jpegIMG_1667.jpegIMG_1666.jpeg

At gun shows I carry a few different nickel plated empty cases (.32, 357, 44) and a white pencil light. Drop the empty down the bore, shine the light on to the rear of the empty case. I can slide it down a bore to get a good look at the entire bore as it slowly goes to the bottom.

ADK Bigfoot

Another bore scope. 1850 or so. Was part of a sargent kit to inspect breechloading Snider Enfield rifles. I didn't get the mirror clean enough.

Attachments

• IMG_0885.JPG
    IMG_0885.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
Caution: This site flagged safety warnings on two computers I attempted to contact it on.

ADK Bigfoot

Attachments

• 1701876473256.jpeg
    1701876473256.jpeg
    27.4 KB · Views: 1

Latest posts

Back