• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

GREAT news to start the New Year off!!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guys,

Some of you may know I have been asking around about possibly getting a traditional muzzleloader hunt on a big cable hunting program. Well I got the email tonight from the producer and I am invited to come along and was told to bring my frontstuffer! We'll be hunting feral hogs and javelina in Texas next month.

Problem now is what gun to bring???? I'm thinking Texas...Davy Crockett....Tennessee rifle or heck maybe my fanciest gun in the safe.

Also don't know much about hogs, where to aim, loads and or best calibers so any advice will be greatly appreciated. Gotta do this right could be a once in a lifetime chance.

Thanks much,

Billy

Hello, you are lucky. Congrats.

Hunting on hogs is very interesting, but you need a rifle with steam. I would prefer a cal.54 or better .58 using conicals. Hogs are very tough.To at the ears is not the best place. Try to make center shots then you will hit the loungs. Be aware the hogs will mostly not die in the tracks. they always run away.

Here in GE we have great probs with hogs.

Looking over my current collection and I am thinking maybe my

#1 Bergmann early Hawken fullstock flinter in .54 bottom rifle in photo.[url] http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a295/medbill/Hunting/P1010076.jpg[/url]

#2 Early R. Scott .54 cal transitional flintlock[url] http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a295/medbill/Hunting/RonScottTransitional.jpg[/url]

#3 Sharon .62 cal half stock Hawken percussion[url] http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a295/medbill/Hunting/DSCN0386.jpg[/url]

#4 H. House .50 flint southern Mtn. rifle[url] http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a295/medbill/Hunting/hhouseandsling.jpg[/url]

#5 PA Flintlock Hunter in .50 cal[url] http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a295/medbill/Pahunterrightside.jpg[/url]

#6 Caywood English fowler flintlock in .62[url] http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a295/medbill/Hunting/caywoodrightfull.jpg[/url]

Who do you guys think is the biggest "mass" producer of tradition looking muzzleloaders? Would you say TVM? Gotta be American made too. Jim Chambers is on the list but the rifle I bought from him isn't built yet! This is an important decision guys, HELP!

I'd really like to use something most guys could afford and or find fairly easily. The flip side is to show what guys are still making to this day. I can easily give a plug to as many websites and a couple of events I went too as I tell the story of how I got into muzzleloading. I am thinking of TC as well of course and am currently putting one together from parts bought here and there. Thing is they aren't very "authentic" but they sure are what your average hunter would be willing to go for as far as an entry rifle. Then the coin gets flipped, percussion or flint?

B

Last edited by a moderator:
Any one of them thar guns will do the trick. I would aim with a gun like I do on a deer and just go low as the vitals are lower in a pig than in a deer.

Since you are going with a gun, you really don't have to worry about the grissely plate like you would with a bow. With a bow you want a quartering away shot, slide the arrow in the ribs and just cut all the way back. Last hog I shot like this went a whol 30 yards.

Google anatomy of a hog and you will get plenty of info on shot placement.

Now, I remember standing next to a penned 450 lb russian boar and I pulled out of my pocket a 50 cal. ball. I stood there in awe as I wondered where in the heck I would shoot this animal. 50 cal ball seemed pretty small, but shot placement is everything as usual.

I'd really like to use something most guys could afford and or find fairly easily. The flip side is to show what guys are still making to this day.

There's the rub. You need to decide which way to go.

An off the shelf rifle like the GPR in .54 percussion meets the requirements for both affordability and availability. Plus, the price is not so intimidating for a beginner who is not sure he wants to continue in muzzleloading.

On the other hand there are some fantastic rifles being made out there. Most people have no idea that there are such craftsmen still around.

Whichever way you go, let us know when it airs.

Old Coot

I would take the halfstock cap Hawken in .62. If it shoots good with conicals I would use them, but I think a PRB will work too, on these hogs if they aren't to far away.For hogs a bullet with big stun is needed.

Thanks guys, a little background on this hunt. I was already invited as a guest to be a part of this special hunt for a wounded Marine that I have been helping for the last year. This filming will be of myself and his father and then later this year hopefully Sgt Ryan will be able to fly down and do part two and or they will cut them together I don't know. When I was invited I was told it would be a combo bow/gun hunt. Then when the producer got a hold of me I got to talking about muzzleloaders, sent him the video of me shooting my Ferguson and he said bring your muzzleloader.

He knows how passionate I am about it and how I feel it has to be kept alive and some exposure on cable could give it a shot in the arm especially with the similarities between shooting flintlocks and bows. Follow-through, knowing your own and your tools limitations, practicing before the hunt etc. Todays modern rifles and scoped inlines are really not that much different. Compare a scoped inline to a fintlock is a night and day difference. I'll do my best to express anything I can as well as I can.

Most importantly I will put that ball where it needs to go and hopefully the hog will drop dead on the spot after doing a flip or two..

It will be really great when Sgt. Ryan can join us.

Thanks again guys, gonna shop for snake gaitors now.

B

My vote would be the .62 halfstock as well. I shot a hog with a .54 RB several years ago. They are tough. I would use my .58 if i do it again.
Idaho PRB

This is a great opportunity to showcase traditional muzzleloaders. I would go with a flintlock and either 54 or 62 caliber and roundballs. I personally would lean to the 62 especially with rb's based on the toughness of hogs. Mart

Keep us posted. I hope is on VS or Outdoor Channel. If not we won't see it in NYC. All we see on TV are bubba guns, compounds, and handcannons. :cursing:

-Ray

Hey Billy,

come on, you just want to show off your guns! (Thanks for the pictures, by the way.) There has been a really enlightening thread on the MZ hunting forum here recently about hog hunting. I'd say take the heaviest caliber rifle you feel comfortable and accurate with, using a heavy load; flintlock if it's more about the show in the end. And take some backup short stuff with you if you might be alone when the flint hits the steel.

Knowing what poor shot you are, I'm sure you will put the ball right where it belongs. Good hunting!

Steve

Hey Steve! Yeah its more about the show and the more I think about it the more I am leaning towards the most affordable "tradition" gun a guy could use. This is why I am thinking of getting my T/C set up with a .62 cal barrel if I can get it done in time. I will call Cain's tomorrow to find out what the status is on it and if they can drop ship it directly to Rayl to get rifled. I'll also call him tomorrow as well.

Rifle won't be fancy but it will be a flinter, will make a big boom with a lot of smoke and knowing of Rayl's barrels it should put the ball right in the boiler room. As long as I don't pull the shot!

It's just such a great chance to get something going. I was almost tempted to take my air rifle but I want to get that boosted before I even take a deer with it.

My wife made me the best venison meat loaf I have ever had tonight and I hate meatloaf. lol Too bad I only got one deer this year. Will have to enjoy it while I can. Now she is looking forward to cooking up the hogs!

Oh yeah one of my local buddies suggested I take my NSSA competition rifle its a Tom Nixon 1863 Springfield rifled musket! Now I would think a .577 minie with say 60-80 grains of powder would make a hog do back flips. What do you guys think?

Cya soon!

Billy

PS: No idea what channel or anything yet but will of course keep everyone posted an I will try to get a copy of whatever they do.

This is a link to the Marine's website the show is all about. He is doing great by the way after taking two rounds to the head!
[url] http://www.helpeddieryan.com[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
I see you are in NY. Do you plan to drive or fly. If you fly, taking guns on board are not really a problem, but real black powder. You may want to check on that. What have you guys expericened in the past?

Flying out of the airport about 8 miles from my house. BP will be purchased down in TX. Everything else I can bring with me. If I can get my .62 smoothbore rifled and put together and sighted in with time to spare I might go with that. Otherwise I am leaning towards my Sharon .62 and I will get to the range to try out some hot loads to see what kinda horsepower I can get out of her.

Thanks for thinking of me and BP on an airplane! There might be a way to do it but I'll be damned if I know. lol

Billy

Cool! :thumbsup:
Good luck on the hunt!
Maybe you could bring along a selection of different styled rifles. They just might give you a minute or 2 of air time to show 'em off...

Just a thought: If you are hunting in South Texas, you might be hunting the much smaller, javalina, which only go about 20 lbs. If in East Texas, then ou might be hunting feral hogs,( big), or Russian boars( black hide) that have worked their way out of Arkansas. If you are hunting javalina, you don't need much gun at all. If you hunting feral or Russian boar, then stick with the .62.

Hello Paul, here is the GE who understand much but not everything.
Please describe what these javalinas are for a kind og game?

Thanks a lot.

Kirrmeister

Back