• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Great Idea, Poor Execution

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muskeg Stomper

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Mods, as you will see, this canteen is not strickly HC so please feel free to move but I thought that this might be interesting to readers of this particular forum....

It's a long story but hopefully all will find my folly entertaining!

So this past fall, I had the great idea that I needed to replace my aging and somewhat funky old slat canteen. Seeing that I had several of the kid's old plastic scout canteens hanging around the garage and being an old arctic soldier familiar with double wall and insulated canteens, I hatched my plan. I would build a slat canteen that I could use for treks that would be both insulated and had a plastic liner for a virtually maintenance free life.

With plenty of pine and some thin plywood scrap, I drew up my plans, cut my stock, and assembled the slat canteen around the cheap plastic canteen. After much self debate on how to best hide the spout. I glued another piece of pine in place. When the glue dried, I was well pleased. I selected a little scrap of hardwood to carve a stopper. So far, so good.
IMG_0919.jpg
IMG_0918.jpg

Then I commenced to thinking, double wall is good but insulated is even better. Thinking was obviously a downfall here! Since there was a considerable taper around the circumference of the plastic liner, a little expanding spray foam insulation would fill all the voids between the inner plastic and outer wood, would prevent rattling, and add some cold weather insulation.

I carefully bored a couple of small holes through the wood slats on the bottom of the canteen. The spray nozzle tip for the foam alllowed me to easily inject foam in both holes which I then plugged with pieces of dowel. The holes would be covered when I installed the metal bands anyway. The plan was for the foam to expand and really fill any voids where the plastic spout passed through the wood slat outer shell.

The following morning, I was super pleased! I cut off any foam expansion around the spout and went to work with a block plane and started to round off the slats for a more pleasing appearance and to reduce weight. Then I saw it! :cursing: The one thing that I had failed to take into account. :doh: Anyone who has ever used expanding foam knows it...
IMG_0916.jpg
Expanding foam has the power to CRUSH. A quick look down the spout with a pocket flashlight confirmed it. The plastic inner canteen was flat as a pancake! :doh:

Lesson learned: I'm eventually going to try this little project again but you can bet that I'm going to fill the canteen full of sand and go a little easier with the expanding foam. I's funny to me now.... :rotf:

Why wood?...Cover the plastic canteen with rawhide or leather and save on the additional weight and chance of cracking the outer wood cover, the first time you drop it or load something to heavy on it!...Don't ask how I know this!

Rick :redface:

Yea that foam really has power. The first time I used it I "Jammed" my windows shut. I filled the gaps around the frames and it actually bowed the windows so hard they could not be opened. I had to use a sawsall to cut out the foam.Now I use it sparingly. :idunno:

OUCH! :shocked2: I haven't had the need to use that expanding foam stuff myself... but I know folks who have and learned this sort of thing has happened to all of them at one time or another!
still, a fun idea, and aside from a few minor catasrophic calculation errors it sounds like it would have worked out well! :hatsoff:

whatever you do, dont throw it away. Keep it until you find someone you really dislike, and give it to them, and then hope they dont figure it out until afte they are far away from civilization, supplies, etc. :stir:

what if you shot some expanding foam down that spout to counteract the effects of the outter presure? :wink:

They make a low expansion foam just for injecting into places where expansion could be a problem. I have seen it on the shelves along with the regular foam like you used. I think I saw it as some place like Home Depot or Lowe's. You might want to give it a try on your next attempt. Using regular expanding foam and putting sand into the canteen might cause the wood to pop off on your Mark II model. See if you can't find the low expansion stuff for your next try. Except for the failure, it was a great idea. Don't give up.

Back