• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Grandpa stories

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smokeum54

40 Cal.
Reaction score
This ain't much different from the no jokes thread. Hopefully it doesn't get taken down.

Awhile back i made a post about my grandpa hitting me upside the haed with his prosthetic leg cause i ate the last piece of fried squirrel.

This is where the squirrel came from.

He had a huge walnut tree in his back yard, along with taters carrots herbs and squash, he dried out alot of walnuts in his basement.

Heard a chirp chirp from the basement, he threw me the single shot 22 and a couple shells and said "go get em" ...and i did😊

Mine, we called him Dad, as did my Dad and my uncles, is the stories of hunting when a kid. The best was of the last deer he had seen in this area. It was just before he went to France in WWI. The first I saw was about 5 yrs after he died (1964) in 1969. More than 50 years.

My great grandpa with the buggy and my grandpa wearing the hat. I never met either one. One died in 1928 and the other in 1943. They were both butchers. The horse's name is Doc and he made deliveries with the buggy.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240410-070844_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240410-070844_Gallery.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240410-070615_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240410-070615_Gallery.jpg
    726.7 KB · Views: 0
I got along real well with both of my Grandfathers. Especially my paternal. He was really proud of his Quebec roots. Make no mistake, he was proud to be an American. In fact, the picture of JFK that hung in their home now hangs in mine. But he loved to tell stories about rural Quebec, and whenever we wanted or asked for something, he would teach us to say it in French.

He died when I was 17. I miss that guy and think of him often.

Last edited:
On my father's side my grandfather was a WW1 vet, a violent, drunken, evil man from what little my father said about him. He lived in Augusta Ga, my brother and I went on a bus to stay with him one summer, he was an awkward old man who didn't know how to care for us kids. One of his sons who lived in town realized we weren't being fed properly, he rescued and fed us. I met my grandmother one time that I remember, she was a kind matronly older lady that loved us. I found out later in life that she kept a pistol by her bed at night because my grandfather was seldom there, I saw it when I visited her, it was a chrome plated .32. Turns out she had killed two men on separate occasions with that pistol when they tried to climb in through her bedroom window late at night to burglarize her house or have their way with her.

One of the few pictures I have of my grandfather, he is on the right, you can tell he is not a nice guy.

jw krewson sr.jpg

On my mother's side I never met my grandfather, he had been a Calvery soldier in the Kaisers army and fled Germany to England in 1911 to keep from being conscripted for another term in the military. He passed through Elis Island in 1913, moved to Wisconsin and started a toy company business that catered to rich kids, before he died of an aneurism at 35 his toy company was one of the largest in the country. My uncle was 18 at the time and tried to run the business but it faltered and failed, the company was sold. He and my grandmother were old school Germans who believed that children should be seen and not heard, very stern. We visited my grandmother in Wisconsin a few times, I don't recall her ever saying a kind word to me or even giving me a hug, she was cold, critical and distant.

Last edited:
Same here @Dusty_Traveler, I was born to older parents. My parents were pretty much the same age of my Wife's grandparents. So my father's dad died when I was a few months old and my mother's father died when I was 5, but I do have a few brief memories of him. He was a tough old bird and avid hunter and fisherman. I have his LC Smith 12ga double. All my grandparents were born in the 1880's - 90's.

On my father's side my grandfather was a WW1 vet, a violent, drunken, evil man from what little my father said about him. He lived in Augusta Ga, my brother and I went on a bus to stay with him one summer, he was an awkward old man who didn't know how to care for us kids. One of his sons who lived in town realized we weren't being fed properly, he rescued and fed us. I met my grandmother one time that I remember, she was a kind matronly older lady that loved us. I found out later in life that she kept a pistol by her bed at night because my grandfather was seldom there, I saw it when I visited her, it was a chrome plated .32. Turns out she had killed two men on separate occasions with that pistol when they tried to climb in through her bedroom window late at night to burglarize her house or have their way with her.

On my mother's side I never met my grandfather, he had been a Calvery soldier in the Kaisers army and fled Germany to England in 1911 to keep from being conscripted for another term in the military. He passed through Elis Island in 1913, moved to Wisconsin and started a toy company business that catered to rich kids, before he died of an aneurism at 35 his toy company was one of the largest in the country. My uncle was 18 at the time and tried to run the business but it faltered and failed, the company was sold. He and my grandmother were old school Germans who believed that children should be seen and not heard, very stern. We visited my grandmother in Wisconsin a few times, I don't recall her ever saying a kind word to me or even giving me a hug, she was cold, critical and d

Dad's dad, I knew him as Grandpa. I remember playing cards and having tea, while he had coffee. He passed when I was 5 about to turn 6. I ended up with both paternal and maternal Grandpa's shotguns.

View attachment 311394
Sorry you didn't get more time with him, he looks like a ass kicker👍

Same here @Dusty_Traveler, I was born to older parents. My parents were pretty much the same age of my Wife's grandparents. So my father's dad died when I was a few months old and my mother's father died when I was 5, but I do have a few brief memories of him. He was a tough old bird and avid hunter and fisherman. I have his LC Smith 12ga double. All my grandparents were born in the 1880's - 90's.
My grandfather had a LC Smith 12 gauge hamme less field grade. It's in beautiful condition and if I out live my older brother it will be mine.🙂 I looking for a picture.

The first time my grandpa hit me upside the head with a shovel.

Handed me a spud fork and said go check on the peanuts. I went to right spot , but couldn't find nuts on any bush. He came over and and asked what i was doing. I replied, Looking for peanuts.

His response was zer under ze ground dummkopf!

And then a dong! From the shovel.
I still luv that sumbitch 😊

Never knew my Grandfather on my mothers side He was killed while in was in the Army when mother was young . My grandfather on Dads side was dying from cancer my the time I was old enough to remember much about him except that he was always busy doing something . Both were farmers and worked hard. Seems most of us didnt get to know our Grandfathers very well. Which is sad. I have 4 grand chrilden and want to spent as much time as possible with all of them

My grandfather had a LC Smith 12 gauge hamme less field grade. It's in beautiful condition and if I out live my older brother it will be mine.🙂 I looking for a picture.
That's exactly what I have, field grade, hammerless. I researched it years ago, I think it was made in the 1920's.

That's exactly what I have, field grade, hammerless. I researched it years ago, I think it was made in the 1920's.
@Piquant, this is the only photo I could find on my phone. I’ve had the shotgun for about 35 years, since one of my uncles died. I remember that while cleaning it up there were still several cockleborrows stuck in the lacings on the leather butt cover.

Attachments

• IMG_0738.jpeg
    IMG_0738.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 0
Back