• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Grafs Has Shooters World Powder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting......I have one particular rifle I'd like to try this in , it's a Pedersoli 1863 Springfield with a shotgun primer adapter that would be a perfect range blaster with something like this.

I wish my local Dunham's or Cabelas would stock this so I don't need to pay a Hazmat fee to try one can

I didn't think we were supposed to talk about subs here, but if it is OK I see this stuff is made by American Pioneer, so should be the same ascorbic acid based powder as Shocky's Gold or regular APP. Simple to use, no bullet lube really needed, and not terribly powerful. Has anybody actually used any? The APP is quite popular with the cowboy action crowd.

$60 per pound?

I think they stopped making American Pioneer......I have an unopened jar I bought probably 3 years ago. It supposedly works in Flintlocks .

This stuff has it's use for hunting or match shooting .

i've used all the APP powders ever made. Have chronographed loads using JSG, Pinnacle, and Black MZ. The APP made powders like a tight fitting ball seated hard on the powder. i put a golf ball on the end of the range rod and use both hands to seat the ball.

A friend uses Black MZ in his flint lock with 4F BP in the pan. Watched him fire 15 rounds with no misfires.

American Pioneer Powder is still being made:

Welcome to American Pioneer Powder

Black MZ works very well in handguns and those unmentionable metal case things.
The good part is the fouling is concurrent not cumulative.
In other words it is always more or less one shot dirty and cleans as easily as normal Gunpowder and does not need bullet lube..
It is a bit harder to ignite and is hydroscopic. There is no problem in a handgun with a chamber closed and one end with a ball and the other with a cap.
I may try some in my Sharps keeping the cartridges in a zip lock bag until loaded. Report on this to follow.
One thing I have been told by a shooter who buys APP by the case that it does NOT like to be compressed. Seat the ball on the powder and no more for accurate shooting in a hand gun. In a rifle I do not know, but varied chamber pressure should affect accuracy I would think.
At less that $10 a pound and available it may be an answer.
Smoke does nor smell right though but it makes plenty.
Yr' Obt' Svt'
Bunk

I've used it in my Remington New Army with good results. It's no longer made and I'm down to my last pound so I ordered the Shooters World stuff and hope it's good!:dunno:

What the hell is with some people complaining because when ordering a few lbs of powder they run $50/$60 a lb. WHY will you not join a BP club. FIND one perhaps not nearby but find one to join and /or start one. If we want BP to continue into the future, it will not if we are separated. The BP club I belong to has Schutzen and caps for sale. $21 and $10 we purchase in large quantity and sell to members as needed. We have members 75 miles away granted they seldom make meetings. But do help at our work party’s and Rhondy. Please excuse the rant.
Doc,

What the hell is with some people complaining because when ordering a few lbs of powder they run $50/$60 a lb. WHY will you not join a BP club. FIND one perhaps not nearby but find one to join and /or start one. If we want BP to continue into the future, it will not if we are separated. The BP club I belong to has Schutzen and caps for sale. $21 and $10 we purchase in large quantity and sell to members as needed. We have members 75 miles away granted they seldom make meetings. But do help at our work party’s and Rhondy. Please excuse the rant.
Doc,

Doc, where is your club stationed and can I join?

Doc, where is your club stationed and can I join?
We’re in far Northern Ca. near Redding. In order to join Louderback’s BP club, you must have shot a Rhondy with a club member to verify safety gun practices and attend a meeting to get voted in. I believe these would be the same qualifications at most any BP club. Where abouts are you located there’s bound to be a BP club somewhere around you.
Doc,

If it is a rebranded American Pioneer ascorbic powder, do not have high expectations. It is extremely hydroscopic and will deteriorate quickly after opening.

We’re in far Northern Ca. near Redding. In order to join Louderback’s BP club, you must have shot a Rhondy with a club member to verify safety gun practices and attend a meeting to get voted in. I believe these would be the same qualifications at most any BP club. Where abouts are you located there’s bound to be a BP club somewhere around you.
Doc,

Thank you, Southwestern Illinois.

Thank you, Southwestern Illinois.
I’m absolutely sure there’s a BP club somewhere around you. As I said we have members up to 75 miles away. Rarely come to meetings but they will help at the work party and at the Rhondy. Find your fellow BP people I guarantee you will not be disappointed.
Doc,

Black MZ works very well in handguns and those unmentionable metal case things.
The good part is the fouling is concurrent not cumulative.
In other words it is always more or less one shot dirty and cleans as easily as normal Gunpowder and does not need bullet lube..
It is a bit harder to ignite and is hydroscopic. There is no problem in a handgun with a chamber closed and one end with a ball and the other with a cap.
I may try some in my Sharps keeping the cartridges in a zip lock bag until loaded. Report on this to follow.
One thing I have been told by a shooter who buys APP by the case that it does NOT like to be compressed. Seat the ball on the powder and no more for accurate shooting in a hand gun. In a rifle I do not know, but varied chamber pressure should affect accuracy I would think.
At less that $10 a pound and available it may be an answer.
Smoke does nor smell right though but it makes plenty.
Yr' Obt' Svt'
Bunk
It was tried this morning using five rounds loaded with a 40 grain volume of APP with a granulation approximately that of FFg.
This was in Hahn tubes, curling paper bases, exactly the same as used with Gunpowder. The nipple was primed with FFFFg as I usually do to dry the fire path for every shot because APP is a bit harder to ignite than FFg Gunpowder..
The powder was held in place with a wad exactly the same as with FFg Gunpowder
This resulted in three hang fires, one FTF on the first cap (RWS 1075) a hang fire on the second cap and one proper ignition.
My conclusion is I know for sure it works well in a C&B revolvers and those unmentionable metal brass gizmos, but not in my Sharps. YMMV but I will stay with FFg Gunpowder.
I was wrong on the price APP sems to be as expensive as Gunpowder but perhaps more available.
Yr' Obt' Svt'
Bunk

Back