• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Graf and Sons

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ebiggs1

69 Cal.
Reaction score
I made a trip to Graf and Sons just for the fun of it. I was almost out of powder so why not?
These are nice folks to deal with. I got another case, 25 lbs, of Goex, 2f and 3f, and I got some of their own black powder, 2f and 3f, to try. It is a buck a pound cheaper. Both are cheaper than TOTW by a dollar a pound.
The picture is of the retail store but the black powder sales is in the back by the wholesale part. The retail store is about as well stocked gun store as you would want. Their prices are about Cabela's or Bass Pro with some stuff a little bit less. If you have cause to be in the area, or within 175 miles like me, by all means stop by.

IMG_4909.jpg

IMG_4910.jpg

Their powder is repackaged Wano from Germany and is excellant. I've been using mostly their powder along with some Swiss for a few years now and have no complaints. If I don't mess up my .58 makes one ragged hole at 50 yards consistantly with their 3F. :thumbsup:

You didn't by chance try buying powder out in the front of the store, did you? Because that guy that works out front is a real pain in the butt. We weren't told where to pick up the powder I had set aside for me over the phone and we made the "mistake" of asking if they had it up front. When you buy their powder in bulk like the powder guy at our club does we only pay $12/lb. :grin:

I was told black powder was not sold in the retail store and I needed to go to the wholesale area. Apparently one son runs the retail side and the other son runs the wholesale side.

They also have a store in St. Charles, MO, just down from Bass Pro. That is where I go to get my powder, caps and other supplies. Traditional BP supplies are getting harder to find in my neck of the woods.

WAYA

I like the idea that the Wano powder uses Alder charcoal like Swiss.

Anybody do a comparison test between Graf and Goex?

Don't forget to mention the shipping and Haz Mat chares you save by picking it up yourself :thumbsup:

Anybody do a comparison test between Graf and Goex?

Capper, I did comparisons a few years ago. They were quite comparable in velocities. Did not see any difference in the fouling factor.

If I were shopping for a case and it came down to the two, I'd just go with the cheapest one.

Bill Knight says that the Graf (Wano) is more consistent because they mix multiple lots into single lots. Result is the powder is more consistent from lot to lot.

Goex used to be quite variable from lot to lot but I don't know how it works out since the move to Louisiana.

The one who was in the back portion of the store was really nice and we talked about muzzleloading for a while. If I remember right I think he said he shot blackpowder revolvers quite a bit. Since this was my first blackpowder order I bought he was telling me I was really going to like the switch from pyro to black.

Not to be a showoff but the grafs powder I buy from a guy in our club,(boughten in bulk), is $12/lb. and $3.50 for a tin of caps.

I don't know much about the new wano but in 1999 here in Alabama the first vendor for Wano in the USA was here in Owen Cross Roads the Luna Tech,INC they quit carring it because of the new Regulations in the US. Anyway I bought 50 lbs in 1999 Since then I have shot Wano only had no problems with it at all still have about 10 pounds of the 50 left when I bought it it was $9.00 a pound.Good Stuff :thumbsup:

luie b said:
The one who was in the back portion of the store was really nice and we talked about muzzleloading for a while. If I remember right I think he said he shot blackpowder revolvers quite a bit. Since this was my first blackpowder order I bought he was telling me I was really going to like the switch from pyro to black.

Everybody was pleasant to me. There was a guy, who was a guide in Montana that was buying a Ruger 44 mag, in the retail store. He said he had a fire at his house and lost $54,000 (yes thousand) dollars worth of guns and accessories and was replacing part of what was lost. He said he carried the 44 when packing out elk because one time, years ago, he got into a tussle with a bear. The bear, it seemed, wanted the elk too. The 44 was to change it's mind.
There was no one that knew flintlocks and I got the normal comments you get when you talk with folks that have never shot one.
Yes the fellow in the back part of the building is a good guy, his name is Willy.

Latest posts

Back