• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

GPR frizzen spring

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bothenook

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Pulled my GPR out of the safe after a couple of weeks resting in the dark. The frizzen started flopping! Sometime during the time in the safe the frizzen spring broke at the bend.
Searched this forum for advice, no luck. Went on the web, found a replacement. No luck The spring is folded not forged, threads wrong,alignment pin doesn’t even come close to the hole in the lock plate. Checked a lot of sites, no luck.
Anyone know where I might be able to obtain a frizzen spring for an older Investarms manufactured Lyman GPR, probably in the 70s or 80s? Things are a little weird when looking for parts for the Lyman’s I own now that Pedersoli is making them. Imagine a GPR with a 1 in 48 barrel…a travesty!
I Am a complete zero when it comes to metal fabrication (a man’s got to acknowledge his limitations), so a manufactured part is required. I would hate to ditch the lock just because I can’t find a frizzen spring. The usual suspects all tell me no oldschool GPR springs available. I am so bummed

So Lyman customer service offered no help or suggestions?
I disregarded them due to a lot of negatives on search results. My bad. I called them up, sent a couple of pics and they had their techs look in the junk drawers I think. The spring is no longer offered for sale since it is apparently truly oldschool gear. They found one and are sending it to me post haste. Win!
This spring is so old they don't have a stock number for it anymore.
My experience is opposite all of the negatives I have read.
Thanks for bumping me in the right direction

I disregarded them due to a lot of negatives on search results. My bad. I called them up, sent a couple of pics and they had their techs look in the junk drawers I think. The spring is no longer offered for sale since it is apparently truly oldschool gear. They found one and are sending it to me post haste. Win!
This spring is so old they don't have a stock number for it anymore.
My experience is opposite all of the negatives I have read.
Thanks for bumping me in the right direction
Similar to my experience with Lyman and many other companies. Get someone on the telephone and that person typically want help if at all possible, even if outside of official SOP. Unfortunately, this type of positive customer service experience doesn’t get anywhere near the publicity a simple misunderstanding with generate.

Back