• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

GPH/Green Mountain Barrels

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cytorg

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a GPH that I want to put a Green Mountain barrel on with a slower twist for RB. TOTW has barrels now for $199.00 in .50 and in .40. I'll use this mainly for target shooting and small game so I'm leaning towards the .40 for accuracy and to just have a smaller caliber. I already have several .54's.
What are my pros and con's of the .40 versus .50? What are your recommendations for loads on the .40?
Thanks in advance for any advice.

The .40 won't be any more accurate than the .54 or the .50. I personally have no use for the smaller calibers.

I like the .40 on small game and general target shooting. Less powder and lead. Recoil is also less if that sort of thing bothers you, which will lead to better shooting.
I've got several .40's. The rifles like anywhere from 40-55grs of 3f. The smooth rifles like 65-80grs of 3f. Each gun is different,but start with 40grs and both .390 and .395 balls and pillow tick patching with different lubes and find the combo that works for you and your gun. :thumbsup:

Good luck and enjoy the load work up! Pathfinder

cytorg said:
I have a GPH that I want to put a Green Mountain barrel on with a slower twist for RB. TOTW has barrels now for $199.00 in .50 and in .40. I'll use this mainly for target shooting and small game so I'm leaning towards the .40 for accuracy and to just have a smaller caliber. I already have several .54's.
What are my pros and con's of the .40 versus .50? What are your recommendations for loads on the .40?
Thanks in advance for any advice.

PROS:
A .40cal sounds interesting...but mainly 'cause I don't have one !! :grin:

CONS:
Would seem to pretty much limit you to only being able to use it for paper and small game.

A alternative consideration might be a .45cal.
They're extremely accurate, small enough for small game with reduced loads, big enough for deer with deer loads, etc.

OR......better yet.....get one of each!!
:grin:

The .40 is a good caliber, but they are usually put up in smaller barrels. I would think that the weight would be prohibitive in a 15/16" barrel that long.

JMHO

I just bought one in .40 that I plan on to use for target shooting. I would like to shoot more and spend less. For hunting I will drop in the .54 back in, which is a great barrel. I did not think it was to heavy at least for me. I hope to shoot it soon. Mark/wi

The .40 will be about 1/2 pound heavier than the .50 but since the GPR is rather light for it,s style, .40 might be a better choice.
Since you have .54's I think the .50 would be redundant. :)

Greeting Cytorg,

The nice thing about the GM IBS barrels are that you can have a true interchange-able barrel system for one rifle.

Since you already have some 54 calibers, you should probably go ahead with the 40 caliber, Later, you might decide to get a 50 caliber barrel, and there nothing to prevent you from, over a period of time, to acquiring barrels in other calibers for the same basic rifle.

Personally, I am a 50 caliber man, but I do understand where you are coming from. one of my current projects is building an Melchoir Fordney flint lock in 40 caliber.

A number of my competitive shooting friends have the GM 40 caliber barrels for RBs and are the best ML shooters in this state (and Texas is still a big state).

While the 40 caliber barrel will make the rifle rifle more muzzle heavy, it should not be a problem. With the extra weight, it should "hang" better for your target shooting.

My late period S. Hawken has a 50 caliber 36 inch barrel that holds real good for offhand shooting.

If you want the 40 caliber barrel, go for it and just do not forget its limitations when compared to a 50 caliber.

Best regards and good shooting,

John L. Hinnant

If you are not an NRA Member, why not? I am carrying your load.

I second the suggestion to look at the .45. It is more versitile as previously suggested. And if your not one to care what you cast up and try in your gun, there are a butt load of .45 molds out there to try. :v

Back