• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Got a jake this morning

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rich pierce

70 Cal.
Reaction score
Turkeys have been scarce here this spring. Finally got a jake this morning using my newly built club butt fowler with a 20 ga Colerain turkey choke barrel.
IMG_2352.jpeg

Well done, I believe the nose cap is longer than the beard on that bird!
It’s close! Beard was 5.25”. The nosecaps on several related club butt fowlers are unusual and are pinned to the front underlug. The nosecap must be removed to remove the barrel. Tricky to form but when done right it snaps into place firmly.

:thumb: :thumb: iv seen plenty of turkeys ... butt [:rolleyes:] not many guns like that, can we see more of it and some details??
It’s based on 2 New England fowlers in Grinslade’s book on colonial fowlers. These have symmetrical double cheekpieces and unique carving resembling nautilus shells. Barrel- 39”, 20 ga Colerain turkey choke. Lock was assembled from The Rifle Shoppe castings of a Wilson English lock. I formed the buttplate of sheet brass, made side plate with silver wing inlays, trigger, thimbles, front sight,
IMG_2355.jpeg
IMG_2356.jpeg
IMG_2356.jpeg
IMG_2357.jpeg
IMG_2357.jpeg
IMG_2366.jpeg
IMG_2359.jpeg
IMG_2360.jpeg
IMG_2362.jpeg
IMG_2363.jpeg
IMG_2364.jpeg
IMG_2365.jpeg
and nosecap which is pinned to the front underlug.

Rich, thanks for posting this thread and your build thread. I find it so interesting and pleasing to see diversity over the usual woodsrunners, and soon to be deluge of machine made fowlers. (No slight intended, just an observation).

Agreed it is nice to see a custom piece, it beautiful... but the "machined" woods runners and fowlers are only common here and for good reason. When you take one a field it's not common anymore. Most
Folks have never even seen one, much less hunt with it. We are a conglomerate of like minded folks. We are going to see a lot of the same things with slight variation. It's nice to see the rarity in this piece, but it takes much more skill to do successfully and that's why most folks don't, or can't. Nothing wrong with either.

Latest posts

Back