• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Goodoien Match Barrels

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

max

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm considering purchasing a Goodoien Match Barrel in .45 cal. and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with one. Hopefully he'll be at Friendship in Sept.I'm currently using a Green Mountain in the same caliber and would like to know if there's a difference when shooting light bench and possibly chunk.

Max,
No experience with Goodoien. They're really pricey and he like's them thicker walled than some. He won't make a 7/8" .50 or a 15/16" .54. Given comments from Don Goetz elsewhere on barrel wall thickness, I just don't see that. I just ordered a de Hass target barrel from MBS for less than half what Goodoien gets for his. Personally, given the number of competition records held with Green Mountain barrels, I'd be hard pressed to see a straight-walled barrel being worth that much $$. I just doubt there's that much difference. I'm sure there's someone who'll disagree with me. Also, the big selling point for these seems to be the hand-lapping. Not hard to do yourself.
Sean--nothing fancy, just a dirty meat-hunter

We have 2 of them in .38 cal & I have another I am going to build into a rifle. They are the most accurate barrel I ever shot straight from the first shot & no breakin with them, they are ready to go.........

:thumbsup:

Do you happen to have one in .40 or .45 cal. and if so what are you loading?

Sorry, all 3 of them are in .38 cal. I shoot 30 grains of 3F Swiss in them, my patch lube, .015 pillow ticking & a .375 RB.

just out of curiosity, what kind of groups are you getting off the bench?

It has been a while since I shot them. They are a matched set of TN rifles (LH & RH) and I gave one to each some. Last time I shot the LH one it would easily shoot a one hole group at 50 yards & it extremely consistant. First 3 balls out of the barrel new cut a cloverleaf at 25 yards without even working up loads for it. :thumbsup:

Back