• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Good Wood Stripper Recommendations

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ernbar

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Looking for recommendations for a good wood stripper that easily removes the thick plastic like coating found on the Uberti grips. I recently stripped the grips on my Dragoon and took a lot of work to get the finish off. I used this product:

153A411F-B9EF-4E79-9B9E-D1CE3C06F69F.jpeg

It took several applications to eventually soften the thick layer that wouldn’t come off unless it was scraped with a plastic spatula. The stuff peeled off like a thick wax film! I have two other grips I want to strip so hoping to find a better product.

Last edited:
I have the best luck with Kwik Strip Spray. Even the plastic looking finishes come off in sheets after soaking a few minutes in the foamed-up stripper. Then wash in acetone with 0000 steel wool. Need good stripper resistant gloves as it will burn your skin.

Attachments

• IMG_2638.JPG
    IMG_2638.JPG
    143.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Thanks for all the recommendations folks. I decided to use the current stripper I have on hand but this time I let the thick gel soaking the grips for over an hour and all the thick film lifted off very easily. My mistake with the other grips was not giving it enough working time. And by the way, I believe I paid $11 to $12 for my product about 3 years ago and is $22 now!
I will post pictures once the project is complete.

Stripped the plastic like polyurethane finish on multiple Italian stocks using several different hardware store strippers - experimented around - and all worked well. Finish bubbled right off and I used wooden flats (craft “popsicle sticks”) to scrape the goo off. Even if you miss a spot the polyurethane scapes off later easily enough with the wood and don’t be afraid to strip it twice if needed.
Guess if I had any “tips” it would be don’t skimp on the stripper product application and wait for the maximum recommended time. Oh. Wear safety glasses and gloves when removing the goo. Depending on the stripper product don’t worry about getting absolutely every nook and cranny as the stripper dries to either a powder (Citristrip) or dried snot (everything else) easily removed later. Did 4 full size stocks and one pistol.

Last edited:
Aircraft Stripper:

Yes! It ALL comes off, scrape off the glop, let it dry and break out the sandpaper. Can’t recommend aircraft stripper highly enough!
Nothing withstands it, even plastic-like guitar finishes.

don

Latest posts

Back