• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

good first cap & Ball pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparky911

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I am thinking on getting a BP pistol
I think I am going to have $250-300 to spend
something to take out when I shoot my Hawken rifle

Which gun did Hickok carry?

I will only target shoot with it

You say "cap and ball" in the subject, does that mean revolver? (Usually cap and ball implies a revolver, but percussion pistols are all cap and ball, technically.) In revolvers Remingtons are stronger, Colts are a more natural pointing gun (and plenty strong). I am pretty sure Hickock carried 36 caliber Colts but someone else will know for sure.

You can get Pietta or Uberti repros of any/all the Colt and Remington models. Uberti are a bit more expensive and reputed to be a bit more reliable, but I have been very happy with my Pietta Colt repro and lots of others on this board will agree that they like their Pietta's.

You can also get Colts made by Colt but they are very expensive.

By the way my cap and ball Colt repro may be the most fun gun in my entire collection.

Wild Bill carried a brace of .36 cal '51 Navies. You can get a Brass framed .44 cal. '51 Navy from Cabelas right now for $119 and i think they are still having the $20 off instant rebate so they are $99.99. I have 2 of them and they are good shooters. Especially for the money.

yes, look at a "revolver" style, pistol, black powder, type, percussion cap style, single action, wheel gun, type yeah :thumbsup:

Rebel said:
Wild Bill carried a brace of .36 cal '51 Navies. You can get a Brass framed .44 cal. '51 Navy from Cabelas right now for $119 and i think they are still having the $20 off instant rebate so they are $99.99. I have 2 of them and they are good shooters. Especially for the money.

ok, I looked at some of those, do they require much if any building?

My sincere recommendation, spend a little more and buy a real Colt 2nd or 3rd gen 1851 Navy. They cost about $400 online thru the auction sites and are much, much better made revolvers.

You'll never pay for quality more than once.

They are the real ones that say, "Colt's Patent" on the left side of the lower receiver.

As I understand it, the "Colts" were made by Uberti. The parts were assembled by Colt.

I have found Pietta guns OK, but Ubertis are definitely nicer.

Get a steel frame gun. Definitely worth the minimal extra price.

Hickock carried (among other guns) a pair of 51 "Navy" Colts. .36.

Ain't this thing purty?
1851_navy_squareback_lg.jpg

Hickok did carry a pair of .36 Colt Navies, steel frames. I would recommend either the real deal Colts or the Uberti offerings. If you are going to be shooting them, I would be inclined to buy the Uberti model. The Colt revovlers are great, just getting to be a bit expensive for me to be just shooting for the fun of it.

I have both Colt and Uberti revolvers. I don't shoot the Colt guns anymore. The Uberti ones do fine for what I use them for. :thumbsup:

This is supposedly one of the pair of Wild Bill's pistols.

hicolt.jpg

There is also the left hand holster that goes with the gun, but it's not in this photo.

There is the famous photo of Wild Bill with the two pistols without holsters...just tucked into his sash.

Sparky,

The brass frame 44 caliber 1851s from Cabelas are complete, not kits. Like Rebel, I got a pair and they are nicely made and lock up tight. The range reports have all been positive. Since you want something for target work, the light loads shouldn't stress the brass frame. It would be a very affordable way to start.

Having said that, my favorote "repro" C&B revolver is the Uberti Colt 1860 Army. I've always preferred the feel/pointing of the Colts to the 1858 Remingtons, but that is personal. If you can, handle both types.

Jeff

My Uberti Colts (all repros) are my favorite cap & ball revolvers. I use my Uberti Walker the most because it has become an extension of my mind and hands. It is NOT a first-timers specimen however, so I would recommend something smaller and lighter that uses only half of the powder that the big Dragoons use. I just got my son a brand new Colt 1860 Army with charcoal bluing and fluted cylinder. I've shot friend's copies of this gun (25 grains of 3Fg Goex) and they all shoot great...50 yards in the bull aren't a problem if you do your part!

I also have two Remington 1858 New Model Army revolvers. One in blue with just a groove for a rear sight and the other (made by Pietta) is the stainless 12" barreled Buffalo Model with "adjustable" rear sight. Both of these examples feature the availability of interchangeable pre-loaded cylinders.

So as you can see, there are several models to consider! Good luck with your shopping and we'll all be here to answer questions as they pop-up :grin:

Dave

Since you will only be shooting target you definitely want to handle the various designs to see which "feels best" to you. Likewise, you're not going to be shooting heavy, so a brass framed gun "may" work for you for many year--just keep those loads reasonable.

The full frame Remingtons are a better choice for strictly target shooting and the sights are better. You can even get an adjustable rear sight arrangement which can makes things a whole lot simpler if changes are required.

For target use, you still may want to consider a Lyman pistol or a Traditions Trapper; both are very nice & accurate guns--with the Trapper having lots of extras, like adjustable sights, DS triggers, target stock, etc... The Lyman is more "traditional" looking and can match up pretty good with a little imagination.

Enjoy your search, let it teach you well,
WV_Hillbilly

With your budget, the Remington style would be the most versatile provided you found the grip pleasant.

The .36 Navy Colt style is one of the most elegant and for me, a perfect fit to the hand. My Pietta is exceedingly accurate...but then so is the Remmy.

If I was going to get only one, it would be the Remmy. Since you have the budget and this is your first, give careful thought to the Remmy for the features, ease of cleaning, extra cylinders etc.

Dan

So within revolvers the choice is:

Colt style vs Remington

"Real" Colt (Uberti parts assembled in USA) vs Uberti vs Pietta

Brass frame vs Steel frame

You will find passionate people on both sides of every one of these. Somewhere there is a guy with a brass gun who has shot for years and is happy and somewhere else is a guy whose brass frame fell apart nearly instantaneously. Same thing with the various makers.

I have a steel Pietta revolver and it has been great but I probably only shoot 120 shots per year from it, and have done this for about four years.

Stophel said:
As I understand it, the "Colts" were made by Uberti. The parts were assembled by Colt.

I have found Pietta guns OK, but Ubertis are definitely nicer.

Get a steel frame gun. Definitely worth the minimal extra price.

Hickock carried (among other guns) a pair of 51 "Navy" Colts. .36.

Ain't this thing purty?
1851_navy_squareback_lg.jpg
yes, that is awesome, a Uberti?

I would likely only fire a gun like this less than 200 times per year, in all reality, when I go to the range, I have limited myself to taking only 2 or 3 firearms, as I know they will have to be cleaned

Yes, that's lifted off their website. Williams Sports has them for $273. www.williamssports.us

I bought my Dragoon from them and recommend their service. :wink:

Yup. Non FFL items, unless you happen to reside in one of the less free states. Here in KY, it is conveniently delivered right to your door...and you then get to holster it up on your hip, and walk around the town square with it!

:thumbsup:

I started with a brassframed .44 then found one with a longer barrel...then became fascinated with the .36 Navy which led to a .44Army. So much for Colts. Now, which Remy I get first will be a tossup as to which will follow me home first a .36 or the .44... Decisions, decisions, decisions :idunno: GrampaJ in NC

Back