• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Golcher Locks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stalker

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi,

Does anyone have any info. about percussion locks made by Joseph Golcher?

Thanks

I have an old double 12 gauge with a Joseph Golcher lock on the left side. The right lock is marked G. Goulcher. Both are back action locks. I purchased the gun in 1968 for $25. I had to cut acouple inches off the end of the barrel because it was shot thin and splitting. I gave it the 'in a tire' proof test and hunted with it for a few years til the locks wouldn't hold cock. It's been retired since then as a 'maybe I'll get to it one of these days'.
There are a couple stamping marks on the bottom of the barrel but I haven't deciphered them yet. The furniture is brass, with engraving, but most of it is broken or missing. The stock is cracked at the locks, just not enough wood there.
I had thought about a rebuild, but am not sure if that is the right thing to do.

Paul

Gee, if the lock doesn't hold any more you should return it and request a new one! After all if the lock was made in the 1840's it should last at least two hundred years, Right ? :rotf:

Has anyone made Golcher locks since the 1840s? I have a right
percussion Joseph Golcher lock and a left percussion J Golcher lock. Neither lock looks to have ever been used. The big problem is the right lock is 5" and the left is 4&3/4". I have been looking for another Golcher lock that I could make a matched set out of for a few years now. Leon

BillinOregon said:
There are also a lot of original percussion locks marked Goulcher.

I should point out that Davis doesn't make back action Golchers, if that's what the gentlman is looking for. Chuck Dixon has alot of Golcher locks
and some parts. I'm not sure about back actions. The problem with using a replacement original Golcher front action is finding one that has the cutout for the drum in the right place. I had that problem myself, and Davis' lock withou the cut out was a bit too small. I had to use a similar style lock with a bigger plate and shape it to the original size.

Duane

Duane
These are not back action locks. They are side locks that look as if they came from a newer TC style Hawken. They are not cut out for a drum. One is marked Joseph Golcher and the other J Golcher. One has a hole drilled for the mounting bolt and the other has the threaded hold to mate with it. These are for like a double barrel shotgun. I'll take a look at TOTW and see if I can find something. Leon

Back